• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing package?

kevin s said:
IIRC, Synth lube in the rear pumpkin.
just what the heck is "IIRC" mean? :viking:

and what synth lube numbers to change the diff and tranny? I know about Mobil 1, but do they offer synths for those applications?

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

Check your owner's manual for the diff lube weights. Regardless of whether you're running dino or synth oil, the viscosity numbers should be the same.

You want to be careful with synth in any of the transmissions. Seems some folks have problems with synth in the AW4 autos, and there's some discussion about GL3 vs. GL5 in the stick shifts.

I think on my 88 and prob your year you got a limited slip differential. Look in your owner's manual but i think you are to use 80W-140 lube instead of 75W-90 lube.

My owner's manual has a list of equipment you hae to have to tow up to 2000 lbs and another listing for up to 5000 lbs. Basically any XJ can tow up to 2000 lbs but to two up to 5000 you need the 4.0, auto transmission, heavy duty cooling - included electric fan, power steering, aux trans cooler and other things that excape my mind.

Of course you need to have a hitch rated for your trailer weight and tongue weight plus the electrical wiring.

All of the above. For 5000lbs, the sales booklet from 1990 lists load equalizing hitch receptacle, 7 wire harness with relays, synth lube in the rear axle (80/140 as mentioned above), heavy duty radiator, auxiliary electric fan, auxiliary trans cooler, 4.0 litre engine, auto, heavy duty alternator and battery, P205 or larger tires and full size spare.

If you have A/C, you already will have some of the above.

Oh yeah, it has to be Spinnaker Blue Metallic for maximum efficiency.

The tow packages included a heavy-duty radiator, external tranny cooler, higher rate springs, hitch (of course), wiring harness, and 75W140 synthetic lube in the rear axle. It also included the electric aux fan if the vehicle wasn't equipped with A/C.It did NOT include synthetic ATF, and so many people have reported tranny problems after trying synthetic that I would not recommend it.

Not sure if the tow package also included gas shocks.

The Class III tow package was offered only with the automatic and 4.0L engine. 4-cyl and 5-speed models could only get a Class I package.

My 88 Limited window sticker shows a $237 "Tow Package B" (Hitch & Wiring?) and a $115 H.D. Cooling System (aux auto trans cooler + normal in-radiator cooler) It has a D35 with Trac-Lok

Also remember that if the vehicle came with a $279 Trac-Lok diff, it came with a $137 full-size spare.

The Manual calls for 75W-140 synthetic in the diff for the Towing Package, 75W-90 without.

I'd suppose good advice depends a lot on what, where, & how often ya plan to tow with your XJ.

Besides the obvious hitch/tongue/ball & harness, I'd look at getting the ATF out of the radiator (into a bigger than factory aux cooler). I'd also freshen up the brakes & TI the rest of the driveline. NO $29 rotors or cheap pads up front for me again... :eek:

Maybe add a leaf into the mix? and install fresh shocks if they are needed.

I'd really consider swapping in a better axle/brakes than a D35 or 27spl 8.25 before I spent a dime upgrading beyond lube, seal & rear brake rehab. (swap 8.8 from a V8 Exploder...4.10-L/S-Discs or build a 44?)

Just my stray $.02 and I have about zero "towing with an XJ" experience.

woody said:
My 88 Limited window sticker shows a $237 "Tow Package B" (Hitch & Wiring?) and a $115 H.D. Cooling System (aux auto trans cooler + normal in-radiator cooler) It has a D35 with Trac-Lok

Also remember that if the vehicle came with a $279 Trac-Lok diff, it came with a $137 full-size spare.

The Manual calls for 75W-140 synthetic in the diff for the Towing Package, 75W-90 without.

I'd suppose good advice depends a lot on what, where, & how often ya plan to tow with your XJ.

Besides the obvious hitch/tongue/ball & harness, I'd look at getting the ATF out of the radiator (into a bigger than factory aux cooler). I'd also freshen up the brakes & TI the rest of the driveline. NO $29 rotors or cheap pads up front for me again... :eek:

Maybe add a leaf into the mix? and install fresh shocks if they are needed.

I'd really consider swapping in a better axle/brakes than a D35 or 27spl 8.25 before I spent a dime upgrading beyond lube, seal & rear brake rehab. (swap 8.8 from a V8 Exploder...4.10-L/S-Discs or build a 44?)

Just my stray $.02 and I have about zero "towing with an XJ" experience.
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies. Guess I forgot to mention, it's a 93 with the 4.0 HO, auto, a/c. Does it already have the heavy duty radiator since it has a/c, I know it has the aux electric fan. Oh and it doesn't have a trac loc rear either. So I pretty much need to change the fluid in the rear, add a good aftermarket trans cooler, no synth in the tranny, add the hitch, wiring and upgrade the brakes. How do I know if I have the heavy duty alternator?
Mike Harris

tireroastin93XJ said:
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies. Guess I forgot to mention, it's a 93 with the 4.0 HO, auto, a/c. Does it already have the heavy duty radiator since it has a/c, I know it has the aux electric fan. Oh and it doesn't have a trac loc rear either. So I pretty much need to change the fluid in the rear, add a good aftermarket trans cooler, no synth in the tranny, add the hitch, wiring and upgrade the brakes. How do I know if I have the heavy duty alternator?
Mike Harris
I've got a 92 XJ that I tow with and this works for me. 4.0, auto no syn. yet, just chg. every 20K, UPGRADED FRONT pads to semi metallic(little noisy but stops GREAT) make sure rear brakes good, Class 4 hitch, installed trlr wires(easy),I installed 3 core GDI rad., new fan clutch, chg. diff oil reg., I dont have ltd slip, but next time I'll go w/ syn. diff oil 140, and reg. 3K oil chgs. dont have HD alt., , did replace rear springs, at 150K it works for me and no probs. But what weigth you towin? I tow maybe 2000 boat 8-10 times a yr, but made it thru sierras(10K alt) fine,Heinz
P.S. Do watch your braking distance and a tranny cooler is great idea, I didnt yet as I upgraded rad.!

tireroastin93XJ said:
Mike Harris

When I ordered my 94 model with the tow package (code AHT) , it consisted of a class C hitch (called equaliazing hitch receptacle) with the round 7-pin connector ( and matching harness to add to trailer), heavy duty radiator, auxiliary fan & transmission cooler (AW4). Ordering it also required ordering the conventional (full size) spare (code TBB and the heavy duty electrical group (code ADH) which included a 90 amp alternator and 58-500 CCA battery. The HD electrical group was included on any XJ that had factory A/C anyway, so if yours has A/C you've got the HD alternator! I kept all of the order sheets from my 94, just in case there was another option you were interested in... ;)

Heinz said:
I've got a 92 XJ that I tow with and this works for me. 4.0, auto no syn. yet, just chg. every 20K, UPGRADED FRONT pads to semi metallic(little noisy but stops GREAT) make sure rear brakes good, Class 4 hitch, installed trlr wires(easy),I installed 3 core GDI rad., new fan clutch, chg. diff oil reg., I dont have ltd slip, but next time I'll go w/ syn. diff oil 140, and reg. 3K oil chgs. dont have HD alt., , did replace rear springs, at 150K it works for me and no probs. But what weigth you towin? I tow maybe 2000 boat 8-10 times a yr, but made it thru sierras(10K alt) fine,Heinz
P.S. Do watch your braking distance and a tranny cooler is great idea, I didnt yet as I upgraded rad.!
If I did tow anything with it, it would be my daughters 800 lb horse in a small trailer. I didn't think it would have any problems towing it.

tireroastin93XJ said:
If I did tow anything with it, it would be my daughters 800 lb horse in a small trailer. I didn't think it would have any problems towing it.
No you shouldnt, just be aware of braking IN ADVANCE, Jeeps didnt have the best front brakes, thats why I upgraded pads. Heinz

I have a 88 XJ that is used as a Tow Vehicle ALOT. I have a boat, trailer to pull my motorcycle, a 25' Travel Trailer, and a work trailer. Pretty much, If I'm driving, something is behind me.
All the suggestions above are good, but I'd seriously install Trailer Brakes on your trailer, and a trailer brake controller on the jeep. They are about a must, a empty XJ with nothing hooked up doesn't stop nearly as quickly as most cars...with a trailer...they plain suck.
Also, since you have a 93, it doesn't really matter, but for anyone with a "closed" cooling system...do the swap. I lost a motor last month due to it overheating b-4 I could get pulled off the side of the road.
Just my experience and .02

man for all the towing you do, trailer brakes are a great idea! How many miles on your "tow rig"? And yup newer opencooling system is best.. Heinz

Heinz said:
No you shouldnt, just be aware of braking IN ADVANCE, Jeeps didnt have the best front brakes, thats why I upgraded pads. Heinz
I was definitely going to upgrade the brakes and make sure the trailer had electric brakes on it. That's the only thing I don't like about my XJ is how bad the brakes suck!
Mike

tireroastin93XJ said:
I was definitely going to upgrade the brakes and make sure the trailer had electric brakes on it. That's the only thing I don't like about my XJ is how bad the brakes suck!
Mike
I put BruteStop pads on my front brakes(and new rotors - recall by Jeep) and what a diff. Definite squeak but the hotter they get the better they work, LONG life, toweed my boat over the Sierras and no problem. Heinz

Heinz said:
man for all the towing you do, trailer brakes are a great idea! How many miles on your "tow rig"? And yup newer opencooling system is best.. Heinz

on which engine....lol over 500,000 on the jeep, about 200,000 per motor...except the current one, might get 10,000 on it...oops

trouble1 said:
on which engine....lol over 500,000 on the jeep, about 200,000 per motor...except the current one, might get 10,000 on it...oops
wow 500K on same Jeep? Second motor? Same tranny?

Back