• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Test Drive -- questions

Chuck_SA

NAXJA Forum User
I went and looked at a 1992 Cherokee Laredo 4x4 this weekend. Had AT, 4.0 engine and towing package. New to XJs so had some questions.

- Maintenance Required light was on. This the same as a check engine light?

- Was a hissing noise that sounded like it was coming from directly behind the battery on the passenger side. Any ideas?

- Had some fluid on fiberboard bonnet underneath the radiator area. Was a little too thick and color was wrong for it to be antifreeze or transmission fluid, so suspect oil. Has towing package so I'm thinking it might be a leak from the oil cooler area. No obvious leak from valve cover or anywhere else in front I could see.

- Small amount of oil near oil pan and transfer case...main seal I imagine.

- What should oil pressure be at? Looked like it was 30 at idle and increased some when I reaved engine. Should it increase like that? I didn't notice what it was at while I was driving. I will definitely check should I give the vehicle another look.

- Carpet in rear was damp on passenger side near hatch. Where should I look for leaks?

AC worked which is good in Texas. Body had decent amount of knicks and scrapes, but no major damage. I'm looking for a 2nd vehicle to pull a small jon boat and 4x4 for hunting in winter. I think I can get the vehicle for $2500 but not sure about the risk.

Any help or comments appreciated.

Here goes:
Maintenance Light is a mechanical timer suggesting O2 sensor should be changed. I think it turns on around 80K. When dealer replaced my sensor, they just unhooked the timer under the dash by the steering column.

Hissing noise by battery. There's a vacuum bottle in front of the battery behind the bumper. Many here have noted battery acid can create a leak in hoses running underneath the battery.

Fluid on bonnet. Mine looked like oil, but was tranny fluid from a slow leak from the quick connects to the radiator.

Oil near oil pan/transfer case. Mine was sneaking down through the bellhousing from the valve cover. Also might be o-ring seal on oil filter mount.

Your oil pressure sounds normal.

Damp carpet rear hatch passenger side. These are hard to pinpoint since water will travel to lowest point. Could be that spot just based on how the Jeep is parked. Mine had small leak where wiring harness enters roof from hatch. Others have had leaks from rubber seal around rear side glass.

$2,500. How many miles?

Chuck_SA said:
I went and looked at a 1992 Cherokee Laredo 4x4 this weekend. Had AT, 4.0 engine and towing package. New to XJs so had some questions.

- Maintenance Required light was on. This the same as a check engine light?

- Was a hissing noise that sounded like it was coming from directly behind the battery on the passenger side. Any ideas?

- Had some fluid on fiberboard bonnet underneath the radiator area. Was a little too thick and color was wrong for it to be antifreeze or transmission fluid, so suspect oil. Has towing package so I'm thinking it might be a leak from the oil cooler area. No obvious leak from valve cover or anywhere else in front I could see.

- Small amount of oil near oil pan and transfer case...main seal I imagine.

- What should oil pressure be at? Looked like it was 30 at idle and increased some when I reaved engine. Should it increase like that? I didn't notice what it was at while I was driving. I will definitely check should I give the vehicle another look.

- Carpet in rear was damp on passenger side near hatch. Where should I look for leaks?

AC worked which is good in Texas. Body had decent amount of knicks and scrapes, but no major damage. I'm looking for a 2nd vehicle to pull a small jon boat and 4x4 for hunting in winter. I think I can get the vehicle for $2500 but not sure about the risk.

Any help or comments appreciated.

same as above, only I believe the main. req. light box was revamped in 91- they used to be underdash where your right knee hit, easy unplg. But 91+ is chrysler stuff, different computer- I think theres possibly a differenet way to reset it.

With what you listed, the price seems a bit high, unless its low miles...and if its low miles, there seems to be alot of little problems. I`d walk- plenty of others around at decent prices with less little headaches.

Thanks for the quick replies. Vehicle has 141k miles on it. I think 15k a year is considered average, so that puts it a little below average miles.

Looking for a 91' - 95 Cherokee 4x4. They seem to be more popular up north where they are more sought after for snowy conditions. I have only found a handful here in south Texas. Pickups on the other hand are a whole different story...but you'd be amazed at what folks want for what most would consider a pile of junk.

My only contribution is leak near the hatch. Mine leaked for years, drove me nuts. After about 3 hours with a water hose, I found that the seam between the roof and the side that make up the gutter was not sealed! When it rained, the chrome strip acted like a wick, sucking up the water where it went between the joints and ran down inside finding its way to the carpet! Silicon sealed it up, no problems.

Chuck_SA said:
Thanks for the quick replies. Vehicle has 141k miles on it. I think 15k a year is considered average, so that puts it a little below average miles.

My crystal ball says Mr dealer is trying to make a profit to help feed his family, and put his kids through collage.

I see a "fair" starting offer of $1200+ his fees, and if it were me, sight unseen, I wouldnt go over $1800, and thats with some serious backround checking.

Im picky. I hate fixing problems that dealers should have to fix before the sale- discounts for water inside a closed vehicle!

Ed in North Ga. said:
My crystal ball says Mr dealer is trying to make a profit to help feed his family, and put his kids through collage.

I see a "fair" starting offer of $1200+ his fees, and if it were me, sight unseen, I wouldnt go over $1800, and thats with some serious backround checking.

Im picky. I hate fixing problems that dealers should have to fix before the sale- discounts for water inside a closed vehicle!

Word to that!! :gee:

Ed in North Ga. said:

"Fair market price" differs by location!

I was just (this past Saturday) perusing what goes for a "$1200 XJ" here in
western PA. It was an '87 2-door, 6 cyl/5-speed, with 187k on it... multiple
rips in the cloth interior... and the entire rocker sill on each side was rusted...
with holes big enough to use as storage pockets!!

I didn't look any farther.

Back in '98, I was looking at a similar '88 with 140k for $2800. It was a 2-door auto with the same rusted-out rockers. The dealer said I could have it "as is" for that price... but that it was scheduled for a trip to the body shop to be fixed... after which time the price was going to jump to $3500. When it came back from the body shop, I spied it one morning... but it was gone by that afternoon!

Den
(Who is about to bite the bullet and buy his leased 2000 2-dr Sport for
the $8800 residual...)

As already commented, prices vary from location to location but IMHO $2500 for a '92 with below average mileage is a bargain. I've seen '88s selling for that price in Connecticut. Around here, anything (and I mean any vehicle, even a Yugo, not just any XJ) that starts and will drive around the block starts at $500 ... if it passes safety inspection the minimum is $1000.

Try Edmunds to get a better idea of what the fair market price should be in your area:

www.edmunds.com

Yeah, that doesn't sound too bad to me. I bought my 95 Country with 75K on it last year for $5200 and that was a pretty good deal. I looked around for months before I bought one and it was the best deal I found. Granted, it was in nearly perfect condition. I think it really varies by the market. In Atlanta you will get a lot more for a used car than in the mountains where my sister lives in Tennessee.

That price sounds a bit steep. Last year I bought a very nice 95 4.0/5sp with 135K miles, A/C, power everything, for $3495.... From a dealer!
So far it's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned :paperwork:

I would keep my eyes open. XJ's are plentiful almost everywhere. I wish full size Cherokees were as plentiful here :bawl:

Back