• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken D35

MojaveDXJ

NAXJA Member #756
My son-in-law was out wheeling his XJ and came down hard enough to break the housing on the rear D35c. I just found a replacement D35c for $20.00 but the original is a 3.55 and the replacement is 3.73. How difficult is it to move the gears from the bad one to the good one?
Thanks for any replies.

Moving the gears over requires setting the pinion depth, carrier side clearance/preload, and backlash. If not set properly, the gears will either get very noisy very quickly, or burn out.

If you are not familiar with how to set up gears, it would be best to either farm out the work or find someone with the requisite experience to show you how it's done the first time.

You should also get a new crush sleeve for setting the pinion preload, as well as a new pinion seal.

considering where you are i doubt you would have a hard time finding a 3.55 d35.

Or, if possible, just use the whole axle and see if you can score the matching d30?! Cheap little gear upgrade and you don't have to set gears. :looney:

Back