• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8" rear axle - worth anything?

PA Highlander

NAXJA Forum User
My neighbor just junked a 1975 Mustang II (rusted up) and it had a surprisingly clean 8" rear under it. It this axle worth anything (ie, useful for Jeep projects)? So far I know it's a semi-floater with a removeable center section and has a 3.00:1 ratio. He's looking to get rid of it for "best offer" - thought if it had Jeep possiblities I might grab it.

Thanks,

Just the fact that it comes from a Mustang II is enough to make me shy away. 8" ring gear is barely bigger than a D35 (7.58") and smaller than an 8.25 A quick check at Randy's Ring+Pinion shows no gears listed for that axle.

Mark WNC said:
8.8 ford explorer 95 and newer 31 spline axles are what people use.

Yep, I knew about the 8.8's being used. I didn't even know there was an 8" model until today! Sounds like it isn't worth messing with ... did find references of the street rod crowd using it on a web search though. I'll advise him to advertise it with that crowd and I'll pass on it.

JJ13 said:
It would probably hold up fine. Gear selection is the big ? Street rod guys ran those behind big blocks all the time.

I think you are thinking of the 9". I have an 8 inch in my Mustang, and can't wait will I swap it out. Very limited as far as traction devices and gear selection. Not worth the time to upgrade. Not really an upgrade if you ask me. It's probably 28 spline. 1 spline over the 35 won't get you much.

Steve

I know there isn't much available in the aftermarket. But as far as strength they hold up pretty good. The 8" is the one that is a 3rd member style similar to the 9" only smaller right???

Ya, they look very similar, less casting ribs on the 3rd member. Any bigger V8 Ford car came with a 9". Even the higher output 289/302s came with a 9". Only the lower output 289/302 and 6 cyl cars (maybe the 2v 351s?) came with the 8".

In my 69 Mustang I plan on putting a late model 8.8 with discs, 3.73s, and a limited slip in it. Around here, they are $400 or less. I can't even come close to building a 9" for that price, and they are the same width, bolt pattern, etc as my 69 8".

I'd really look around for a 8.8 for the XJ. It's a great swap especially if you have front gears to match the 3.73 or 4.10 ratios in the 8.8 Explorer, and don't have to swap gears right away. Don't mess with the 8" IMHO.

Steve

Back