• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone got experience/ knowledge of Currie HP 9"?

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Well I am getting a Currie HP 9" third member and I am wondering if this will be strong enough to hold 37s? Its a nodular 3rd member, but I have heard two things. One that the HP doesn't get enough lubrication to the pinion bearings. Two that its weaker than a regular 9", I know it uses an 8.8 ring gear. Anyone have experience with a HP 9"?

I also think the my gear choice is limited, I'll go look on Currie's site real quick.

I have one in my junk.I run it with 38's,and I do beat it up pretty good.I have never had any problems.Probably because the motor doesnt have enuff HP to break anything.The gear selection sucks,4.88 is as far as you can go.Currie has told me in the past they are working on a stronger R&P setup.

magoo117 said:
I have one in my junk.I run it with 38's,and I do beat it up pretty good.I have never had any problems.Probably because the motor doesnt have enuff HP to break anything.The gear selection sucks,4.88 is as far as you can go.Currie has told me in the past they are working on a stronger R&P setup.

Hmmm, yeah went to Pirate and found alot of info. Not sure if I'll keep the third member or not. I would really like 5.13s. I may sell the complete third member w/ 4.10s and full spool and get a LP nodular third member. Need to hear from more people with experience.

Yeah I know, but the reason I got a HP D44 and 9" was to run 37s without many worries. I would think I would be ok, but I could sell the third member for what I paid for the whole 9" axle.

Back