• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T19 question

chassellbandit

NAXJA Forum User
looking at possibly switching my tranny to a T19. who here is running one behind a 4L? how is it it or DD purposes? am i really going to notice much difference on the highway? TIA

Why would you run a T-19, when you a T-18 has a 60% lower first gear?

Do you feel you don't need overdrive?

Any of the old 4 speed boxes are a giant step backwards in refinement, gearing, and weight.

CRASH

Oh I miss my old t-18 . 6.32:1 first gear I believe. Man that truck topped out at about 60 -65 mph in top gear. why can't I have my old 300 ci. I6 and t-18 in my XJ? maybe then my ford friends would take me back..

CRASH said:
Why would you run a T-19, when you a T-18 has a 60% lower first gear?

Do you feel you don't need overdrive?

Any of the old 4 speed boxes are a giant step backwards in refinement, gearing, and weight.

CRASH
from novak. i trust them
t18_specs_gasket.gif

t19_specs_gasket.gif

Very much similar to the T18 in appearance and build is the T19. This four-speed transmission is different from the T18 and others in that it usually features taller gearing and a synchronized first gear. It was introduced in Ford trucks in the 1968 model year.

Yes, but the majority of the late model ones are from Ford trucks, which have a 4.0 to 1 first.

Still don't see an overdrive, do you?

CRASH

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/convtrans/convt19.html

Wide ratio t18 or the harder to find t19 wouldn't work so well really in a DD, for street use they are basically a 3 spd. The T18 works well in my CJ but I can't see it being too great in an XJ. I'm not sure how many older wide ratio truck trannys you've used.... I'm used to it in all of my old junk, but there's no quick way to shift one like an AX15. A terralow set of gears in the tcase will give you the same effect in 4 low and you'll never know they are there the rest of the time on the street... best of both worlds.
Mike B.

Last edited:
i understand what you're saying, and the lack of an OD was what worried me, hence why i asked if anyone ran one in a DD. but i'm looking at possibly replacing ym tanny before too long, and figured i'd get something beefier. and cheap. what is a good opinion besides a NV 4500?

i have seen many people use a np435. that is one of the reasons i chose it. now i knwo there is no over drive. but the final ratio is very close to that of a ax15. i think. now this is not going in a stock rig i am assumeing. so you will have big tires and lower R&P gears.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmission_gateway.htm

I don't know of any 4 spd with a granny 1st that has any higher 4th gear than 1:1. Without any details of the rig in question though there really isn't much more that can be said on the subject. Hell if he has a BA10/5 pretty much anything will be an upgrade :rolleyes:
Mike B.

Do you remember those old Ford 4 speeds where they reversed the position of 3 and 4th gear? 3rd was 1 to 1 and 4th was overdrive. They were based on a T-18 or T19 case, as I recall. That was an early 80's way of avoiding the engineering costs of a 5 speed OD.

Too bad they were pieces of crap that blew sky high when used behind the 6.9 diesel.

CRASH

Yes ford has not been real good at selecting tranny's in the past 20 years or so, though I'm told the present 6 spd is decent though I really have no idea what make it is (Has to be better than the ZF5).
Mike B.

1986xj said:
Yes ford has not been real good at selecting tranny's in the past 20 years or so, though I'm told the present 6 spd is decent though I really have no idea what make it is (Has to be better than the ZF5).
Mike B.

I'm trying to find one right now for my Hypermaxed 86. Right now it is 4.11, no OD. Really fun 'till you tach out at 65 mph. :rolleyes:

CRASH

My 77 has the t18, 4.10's on 33's and it's screaming at 65, the tired ole 351M just don't like to run hard like that anymore.
..... but back to the subject, has anyone used anything other than the NV4500 for a XJ for a HD tranny w/OD? I suppose the ZF's are too long or hard to adapt to the 4.0? (as much as I dislike the ZF in my F350 it still does work OK despite some strange noises from time to time and being almost impossible to downshift into 2nd...but it's had a very hard life)
Mike B.

The more I think about it I think the ideal XJ combo with a 4.0 for street & trail really would have to be - AX15, np231 w/ 4:1 terralow gears, & 4.10's if 33's or 3.73's with 31's but that's just my opinion :cool:

Back