• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Were to get it ...Turbo

Well If I dont sell the Xj, I need more power, I just stuck a new 4.0 in it so I dont want to stroke it. Superchargers cost a little more then I want to spend so Im stuck trying to decide between a turbo and NOS. I really would like to the turbo route but the only 2 company's that I know that made them are out of business. Any ideal were to get one? The cheapest one?

Thanks BB

Most of us that are working on turbo projects are building them ourselfs. for most people abolt on supercharger would be best. NOS isn't that great unless your racing all the time.

I know a supercharge would be best for my time and money a turbo would be most hp for my bucks.

I know I could make my own "I went to auto tech school" but will not have the time for a while but If I could find one that would fit the XJ I could put it on in a day.

I also know that Bell Engineering, and Bear tubo made turbo kits for jeeps. But can't seem to find their web pages.

BB

I noticed that Banks is making exhaust systems for jeeps so perhaps they have a full turbo package as well. Don't know. Personally I prefere a SC for it's longevity and ease of use. Every one who I know personally that had turbos had problems with them long term including my immeadiate family, my sister had a really nice volvo, during the 4 years she had it it went thru almost a turbo a year. They can't be all bad not with the number they use on big rigs but that may be becasue they very rarely get shut down and most non-professional drivers don't have the discipline to wait for them to spool down from 50,000rpms before shutting the engine off.

They can't be all bad not with the number they use on big rigs but that may be becasue they very rarely get shut down and most non-professional drivers don't have the discipline to wait for them to spool down from 50,000rpms before shutting the engine off.

The reason to run the engine for a while is to allow the turbo to COOL DOWN (remember, it's spun by red-hot exhaust gases)... not to spin down. Remember, the turbo is a pump, pumping air into the engine. Shut off the power supply (exhaust gases), and the pump will stop pumping immediately
because of it's own pressure buildup. I drove Turbo Jetta for a year (with a 5-speed)... it's obvious that the boost shuts down RIGHT NOW, and can take
a second or two to build up again when you get on it.

I'd have two concerns with a turbo XJ, FIRST would be the fact that the 4.0 gets it's oil dirtier than any vehicle I've owned in the past decade. My Jetta's oil was still a nice honey-brown color after 5k miles... so I trusted it for the turbo. The Jeep's oil (black after 3k) would make me nervous with a turbo. Second would be heat. The last thing a 4-liter XJ needs is more underhood heat. IMHO.

Den

the reason for the cool down time is to keep oil flowing to the turbo wail the turbine cools down
without a proper cool down the oil remaining in the bearings will get cooked
but this is only a problem if you try to shut down right after a period of sustained boost

Blackbeast said:
I know a supercharge would be best for my time and money a turbo would be most hp for my bucks.

I know I could make my own "I went to auto tech school" but will not have the time for a while but If I could find one that would fit the XJ I could put it on in a day.

I also know that Bell Engineering, and Bear tubo made turbo kits for jeeps. But can't seem to find their web pages.

BB
http://www.bearturbo.com/index.htm
Bear turbo's site seems to be down, but I know. I have checked it out before. I believe that the turbo kit ran for about $4k. I think that Bell Engineering only makes turbos for wranglers, but I could be wrong. If you havent checked it out yet this site: http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/forced_induction.html gives a lot of useful information. Later.

Blackbeast,
I know you were looking for turbo stuff, but this might be a viable option:

http://www.truckperformance.com/products/?productID=1264903

The newer progressive type NOS systems are pretty impressive. You can program when it comes on and how much you want (linier mode). It’s a much smoother transmission of power than the old “shot” systems. The best way I’ve heard it describe is that it feels like your engine just grew 100 cid. I’ve never seen it in writing, but I would assume that it is also a lot easier on your engine as well. It seems to me that this would be much more useable on the street/off road than a “shot” system or a turbo. The nice thing with NOS is that if you don’t need or want the power just turn it off. Kind of hard to do that with a turbo :D

Back