• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about regearing axles

joe88xj

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have a set of R@P im installing and on the front of the pinion it has a "+2" which i know means i need to add shims, but how thick of a shim does this equal? plus .002 or plus .020?
tia

thats the wrong way to look at it.

you must compare that number with the existing pinion....

Whatever its worth, I NEVER rely on those numbers.

I start out with new shim packs using the original thickness (use calipers) and pull a pattern

some of the time I'm so close I get it on my next try.

read up!

west coast differentials faq.

seriously, if you lack the proper tools or mechanical experience, don't attempt this by yourself.

DIY is a very cool thing, but you may want to consider finding a buddy or someone in your local club that does R&P's and fly with a wingman

Beezil said:
DIY is a very cool thing, but you may want to consider finding a buddy or someone in your local club that does R&P's and fly with a wingman

I agree, I do everything on my Jeep myself, Except R&P. Too many specail tools and it can be costly if you mess it up.

i've done everything myself so far but wasnt going to do R@P by myself, i have an uncle with the right tools and a mechanic willing to do the work for 20.00 per hour, i was just trying to figure out what the increments of those numbers equaled to in shims. thanks for the input guys

joe88xj said:
i've done everything myself so far but wasnt going to do R@P by myself, i have an uncle with the right tools and a mechanic willing to do the work for 20.00 per hour, i was just trying to figure out what the increments of those numbers equaled to in shims. thanks for the input guys

if your uncle has done r&p's before, he'll probably ignore those numbers too.

don't get too hung up on those numbers....

Just FYI, those numbers are the distance from "standard". For instance, if the new set has a "+2" marking and the old set has"+1", the shim thickness SHOULD be different by .001
As Beezil pointed out, this is just a starting point to get you close enough to pull a pattern. Like SeanR, I've also done everything on mine but the R&P work. I helped with the rear one, so I'm familar with the process. Could I do it myself next time? With the right tools, possibly... :shiver: :D

What special tools do you need to do this, for a D44 specifically?

I just bought a Dana 44 that needs new gears and a locker. I had hoped to do it myself, but you guys have me worried. If I need tools, I would rather buy them now so I have them for the next time, rather than spend that money paying someone to do it for me.
MoFo

MoFo said:
What special tools do you need to do this, for a D44 specifically?

I just bought a Dana 44 that needs new gears and a locker. I had hoped to do it myself, but you guys have me worried. If I need tools, I would rather buy them now so I have them for the next time, rather than spend that money paying someone to do it for me.
MoFo

The main tools:

dial indicator and stand
good calipers accurate within .001
bearing separtor and puller
Recomend an Impact gun
Inch pound toque wrench, one with a scale not just the click type
Brass punch

Most of all lots of Patience!! Do not hurry yourself, get the best pattern, not just an acceptable one.

I may have missd something, but you'll need to save your carrier bearings off the old carrier. Dremel them out so they can slide on an off, then use the new races with them when your pulling your pattern. When the pattern is good then you'll install the new carrier bearings.

Thanks Chuck.

I think I have all the tools except the brass punches and the patience. The therapist and I are working on the patience.

Where can I find some brass punches and dead blow hammers?

MoFo

Back