• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trim Level

Should tell you right on the front fenders, either with a badge or (in later years) a decal. If it's not marked at all, and the interior is rather Spartan with idiot lights instead of full gauges, it's a Base.

Give us a hint -- what year,and what options? Headrests integral with the seat backs, or separate pads in two posts? Two or three-spoke steering wheel? Leather steering wheel or plastic? Steel wheels or alloy? Carpet, or rubber mat on the floor? Full console (extends from the dashboard to the back of the front seats) or a "mini" console (only surrounds the actual shifter, and doesn't extend as far back as the front seats).

Well it's not a base. I have two of those and I think this one is either a pioneer or a limited. It has no way that I can see of identifying it although it seems to fit the Limited specs other than it hasn't got leather seats. Before mods this 1987 XJ came stock with tow package, a d44 rear, power locks, power windows, Full console, cruise control. All gages and no dummies, 4.0, 4speed auto with the np242.
Thanks again

Last edited:
I was thinking it might be too. But then I haven't seen a Laredo that didn't have side molding so I wasn't sure on that one.
Thanks for your reply

According to the M.R. 244 AMC/Jeep Workshop Manual, page A-3, the 8th position in the VIN specifies the trim package

1 - custom
2 - Pioneer
3 - Chief
4 - Loredo
5 - Wagoneer
6 - Limited
K - Cher. Base (2WD)
L - Pioneer (2WD
M - Loredo (2WD)

Hope that lets you sleep!

Back