• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting up a full width HP 44.

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Anyone got pics or experience in this? I got a hp D44 and 9" off an F250 and I am wonder what all is needed/ if anything to get my coils to line up? I know I have to put the perches in the right places and all the mounts duh, but is the pumpkin in the way of the coils? (I've seen TJs where the coils look angled outward) I just need some tips or advanced warning on what to do and look out for.

Thanks

ZachMan said:
Anyone got pics or experience in this? I got a hp D44 and 9" off an F250 and I am wonder what all is needed/ if anything to get my coils to line up? I know I have to put the perches in the right places and all the mounts duh, but is the pumpkin in the way of the coils? (I've seen TJs where the coils look angled outward) I just need some tips or advanced warning on what to do and look out for.

Thanks

What year f-250 did you get those axles from? I'll be posting pictures of my completed junk this weekend to give you some ideas.
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
What year f-250 did you get those axles from? I'll be posting pictures of my completed junk this weekend to give you some ideas.
Billy

Not sure, I bought them already built, but I just have to put the correct mounts on them. Its a HP D44 and 9" HD housing 31 spline. I'll get pics today and post up Monday.

I believe the HP F250's were leaf spring, and should've had a 60 rear. If it's a 9" and coil sprung hp44 I'd say they're from an f150. If you search here I believe you'll find a write up on this topic already. Also search for some posts from mudtruk.

815gxjfront-med.jpg

Ok,I am looking for pics of the mounts everyone used when swapping a Ford HP D44. I searched and found Dazz's posts, but I am wondering is there another way to do the mounts. Also why such tall mounts, bumpstops? Can the stock mounts not be used on the d44?

picserver.jpeg

I was wonder on the driverside coil mount if anyone cut part of the casting off to make it flush with the tube? As of right this seems to be the only problem.

Did anyone cut the "wedges" off the tubes where the coil/radius arms were attached? I do not plan on a radius arm setup, stock 4-link long arms for me.

Last edited:
If the front end has the cast radius arm wedges than you'll pretty much have to retube the entire frontend. The tube does not run through the mount completeley. Instead the mount is actually used as part of the tube. I'd be afraid to cut down the mount in fear of weakening the tube mount assembly. It has the cast mounts if the front end looks like the pic below barrowed from the for sale forum.

Matt
P1010001.JPG

Ok, Matt

So could I build the mounts ontop of the wedges? (its like the pic you got) My best friend welds for a living so fabbing something up wouldn't be a problem. Or could I even use the stock Ford coil/radius arm mounts and just cut the radius arm part off so I would only have coils there, that is if they match the width of an XJ.

Or I could do the d60 tubes and outters, but that would be alot more work for running a 37" tires.

Or if the radius arm mounts were in line with my XJs coils I guess I could run radius arms, I know you do. I think F-150s would be too wide though.

Last edited:
Welding mounts to the top of the "C" wedges could be tricky, but doable. They are cast steel. Pre heat & post heat procedures would be needed. The other issue would be clearance between the back "C" wedge & your lower control arm mount. I doubt you'd be able to bolt up the LCA between the 2. Also keep in mind that putting the mounts on top of the wedges will raise the front end up also. The stock coil mounts on the ford are integrated into the radius arms. Using just the coil mount part of the arms I guess would be possible, but it will lift your front end another 2.5"-3". I don't know where you'd put the control arm mounts than? There are guys out there running this exact axle using the radius arms under XJ's. The coil buckets can be turned 180 degree's to narrow the distance between the springs. Even with this the springs will not sit perfectly straight with the coil towers, but IMO it's acceptable. If it were me I would narrow that axle 6" as to use a early bronco long inner shaft & run the ford arms. This axle is one of the easiest to narrow for the same reason that it's not friendly to modify for use without the ford wedges.

Matt

FarmerMatt said:
Welding mounts to the top of the "C" wedges could be tricky, but doable. They are cast steel. Pre heat & post heat procedures would be needed. The other issue would be clearance between the back "C" wedge & your lower control arm mount. I doubt you'd be able to bolt up the LCA between the 2. Also keep in mind that putting the mounts on top of the wedges will raise the front end up also. The stock coil mounts on the ford are integrated into the radius arms. Using just the coil mount part of the arms I guess would be possible, but it will lift your front end another 2.5"-3". I don't know where you'd put the control arm mounts than? There are guys out there running this exact axle using the radius arms under XJ's. The coil buckets can be turned 180 degree's to narrow the distance between the springs. Even with this the springs will not sit perfectly straight with the coil towers, but IMO it's acceptable. If it were me I would narrow that axle 6" as to use a early bronco long inner shaft & run the ford arms. This axle is one of the easiest to narrow for the same reason that it's not friendly to modify for use without the ford wedges.

Matt

NorCalXJ mounted his spring perches/control arm mounts to the top of his radius arm wedges... you may want to PM him.
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
NorCalXJ mounted his spring perches/control arm mounts to the top of his radius arm wedges... you may want to PM him.
Billy

Thanks I will.

Last edited:
Anybody have a pick of a non-cast radius mount hp 44. I have one with the cast in mounts, I was just curious what the visible differences were.
Thanks,
Dustin

LT1XJ said:
Anybody have a pick of a non-cast radius mount hp 44. I have one with the cast in mounts, I was just curious what the visible differences were.
Thanks,
Dustin

Search on here for hp d44. There is a webpage and some have pics of the difference.

The cast wedges look melted into the tube, while the welded ones are just stuck on. Meaning you can see the seam of where the wedge meets the tube.

How thick of tubes can I put on my HP D44? I found a local machine shop that told me they can do it all. I want to put some thick tubes in and keep it at 65" wms to wms.

Back