• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need a duplicate key

dogtired

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I need to make a duplicate key made, didn't think at the time when i bought my jeep, to ask for a duplicate OEM key. So... I have only one factory key, dunno if it has a transponder or not. I still have a OEM remote keyless entry, but no longer use it now since I have a alarm installed, so I now use the keyless remote that came with my alarm to arm/disarm my alarm.

Any suggestions? Do i get a OEM Jeep key blank from Ebay or get it from Home Depot/Lowes/k-mart etc... or do I bite the bullet and prepare for the reaming and get it from the dealer? I just need a spare, so I have peace of mind. :confused:

For the amount of money it costs get it done at lowe's home depot or wherever. Even if you got that sentry thing it's good to have a spare key that's just a key and nothing more.... but if you get it and it works, you're ahead $$

I got my blanks on ebay for 4.99 ea from a buyer named joefriday2. I then just took them to the local key place and had them made.

ok, so basically I was worried about is the wether the key works when I start the Jeep and it won't lock me out when I try to start it. I was worried about the programming that you need two keys to make a duplicate key in order to start it and drive it. That's the problem I need a spare key, which I don't have. Do I even need a duplicate key to make another one? Anybody's key to make it work? Or do I need my key... ugggh I am confused. :huh:

Does that make any sense? I have the black round headed key not the gray key. Looks like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46101&item=2465434597

I just want a spare key that works to open my doors and to start my Jeep in case I lose my only main key, and it shouldn't interfere wether I got a factory keyless entry and my aftermarket alarm. sorry about me repeating myself, just wanted to get my point across. :dunce:

BTW, what does the sentry do anyways? :viking:

edit: oh, I almost forgot... THANKS guys! :cheers:

Last edited:
What year is your Jeep?

I think people here are talking about two different options. Factory remote entry, and the alarm system that was apparently offered for a few years in the mid-90s, use a standard key and the key FOB has the transmitter for the remote entry (and alarm, if so equipped).

I don't know if the Sentry Key was ever offered on the XJ. That's the option with the microchip transmitter embedded right in the head of the key, and unless that key is in the ignition the engine won't start.

Unless you have the Sentry key, you can go to any locksmith and get a replacement key made up for a buck or two. That will open the doors and operate the ignition (unless you have the older AMC style keys, in which case there's a round head key for the doors and a square head key for the ignition ... but you said you received one key, so I believe you). Then you can deal with the issue of obtaining another remote entry transmitter at your leisure.

IF you have the Sentry key, you must get the duplicate from the dealer, you must have the dealer cut the key, and you then have to pay the dealer to program your ECU to recognize that key. I hope you don't have this option, because you don't want to know what those keys cost.

You can, however, get a standard key cut to match a Sentry key. It's a ppartial solution -- it gets you in if you lock your keys in the vehicle, but it won't start the engine so it's useless if you lose your Sentry key.

Hope this helps clarify. Tell us what year XJ and whether or not you have Sentry key.

Hi Eagle!

I have the black round keyhead. My XJ is a 2000. I got confused about transponders. Thanks for the explanation.

So, according to muddyjeep1997, I have no transponder, because it isn't gray? I never saw a gray looking key before.

Last edited:
dogtired said:
Hi Eagle!

I have the black round keyhead. My XJ is a 2000. I got confused about transponders. Thanks for the explanation.

So, according to muddyjeep1997, I have no transponder, because it isn't gray? I never saw a gray looking key before.

Well, I just checked the 2000 sales brochure, and to my surprise the Sentry Key engine immobilizer was offered as an option on all but the Base model XJ for 2000. You could have it. If your key head is sort of fat, it could be. If the black part is flat or slightly concave, it isn't a Sentry Key and you can get a duplicate cut anywhere.

Heck, for a couple of bucks get one made anyway, to carry in your wallet in case you accidently lock yourself out. If it starts the engine you're good to go. If not, at least you have a partial solution.

sorry, I should be more descriptive... the key that I have is black and round and thicker than the metal part and slightly concave, and has the dodge logo on one side and it says "Jeep" on the other.
My XJ is a 2000 Sport 4dr automatic model, no 4x4 option. Hope it is enough info. Thanks Eagle! :)

Eagle said:
What year is your Jeep?
IF you have the Sentry key, you must get the duplicate from the dealer, you must have the dealer cut the key, and you then have to pay the dealer to program your ECU to recognize that key. I hope you don't have this option, because you don't want to know what those keys cost.

FYI- If you have 2 sentry keys already (I know he already stated he has only one), you can program new ones yourself. You can get the blanks off ebay, or there are a few other sites that sell them cheap. Then have them cut by a locksmith, and program it with the instructions in the owners manual.

I've done this procedure on a few vehicles already. I was quoted from $90-$120 at the dealers, and ended up doing it myself for under $25

well, i will get a key made off my OEM key and see what happens, if it don't start my Jeep, at least it is only a few bucks wasted right? Thanks again to all!

wow street keys is very expensive, I might as well go to my local Jeep dealer and get my reaming there, at least I eliminate all doubt that the keys made there will work with my Jeep. 54 bucks for a key blank? Fleabay has them for about 9 bucks a pop. :dunce:

jchampoux said:

thanks for the pict, chances are... I don't have a transponder then. Even if I do have a transponder, I only have one key anyways. Either way, I guess I will have a professional make a duplicate transponder key anyways. I need 2 keys to make my own, sounds stupid, but why two keys to make another? That's dumb, what about one key left? I think it is a scam. heh But i will go try to make a generic key and hope it works first. I'll keep you guys posted. :viking:

I just had a bunch of keys made for my Jeeps and apt.
at $1.45 for the Jeep keys with rubber grip. I'd say it's worth a gamble.
funny thing was I bought 7 keys and the cashier didn't scan them all, cost me $7.somthing

dogtired said:
thanks for the pict, chances are... I don't have a transponder then. Even if I do have a transponder, I only have one key anyways. Either way, I guess I will have a professional make a duplicate transponder key anyways. I need 2 keys to make my own, sounds stupid, but why two keys to make another? That's dumb, what about one key left? I think it is a scam. heh But i will go try to make a generic key and hope it works first. I'll keep you guys posted. :viking:

First, I want to apologize, my intention is not to make you feel bad...but I havent really understood a single word of your posts. I will explain what I think I know and you see if it makes any sense to your situation:

You have a key for your jeep,
You want to make another key, a duplicate, just to have another
You arent sure if your jeep originally had the sentry option

Take the key to the dealer and see if it's a sentry key
If the key that you have IS NOT a sentry key:
Take the key that you have to a locksmith or a hardware store and have a duplicate made.
-OR-
You may choose to buy a jeep blank (because it's cool and it says "Jeep" on it) on ebay or some such place and take it to the locksmith or hardware store and have them cut it for you.

If the dealer says that it IS a sentry key, and you dont have the OTHER ORIGINAL key then you MUST buy and program another key at the dealer.

The process for programming your own sentry keys is detailed here:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/sentry.htm

hope this helps, and I hope I have understood your problem.

jchampoux said:
First, I want to apologize, my intention is not to make you feel bad...but I havent really understood a single word of your posts. I will explain what I think I know and you see if it makes any sense to your situation:

You have a key for your jeep,
You want to make another key, a duplicate, just to have another
You arent sure if your jeep originally had the sentry option

Take the key to the dealer and see if it's a sentry key
If the key that you have IS NOT a sentry key:
Take the key that you have to a locksmith or a hardware store and have a duplicate made.
-OR-
You may choose to buy a jeep blank (because it's cool and it says "Jeep" on it) on ebay or some such place and take it to the locksmith or hardware store and have them cut it for you.

If the dealer says that it IS a sentry key, and you dont have the OTHER ORIGINAL key then you MUST buy and program another key at the dealer.

The process for programming your own sentry keys is detailed here:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/sentry.htm

hope this helps, and I hope I have understood your problem.

yup, you understood perfectly, sometimes my wording is not the greatest
I was worried about the sentry thing and programming, but how do you make another key when you need two keys to make a duplicate. Especially when I only have one existing key. If I had another spare key then I wouldn't need another spare, it is confusing to have 2 keys to make another key to program it. If it is just a plain vanilla key, then no prob, I can have one made at Home Depot or Lowes in a few minutes.

I dont know why DMC would require 2 original keys to make a third, but I can come up with one fairly good reason why it may be a good idea;
to keep a valet or anyone else who borrows your vehicle from making a duplicate key. Presumably only the owner would have access to both keys simultaneously.

Back