• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drilling holes into cargo panels

gr8tires

NAXJA Forum User
Are there 2 layers of panelling on the rear cargo area of an '00 XJ?
I'll be installing a security cover in my kid's '00 XJ, and need to know. The brackets that hold the roller(cover)and mount on the panels are recessed. There is about a 1/4" ridge or stepdown around the outer part of brackets. Looks like I need to drill about5/8" holes into the panel so the bracket will fit flush. Before I do this, I want to make sure there is another panel under the outer, for the 2" long screws to hold the bracket in place.
Any ideas???? :thumbup:

anyone?? maybe a schematic somewhere???
gr8tires said:
Are there 2 layers of panelling on the rear cargo area of an '00 XJ?
I'll be installing a security cover in my kid's '00 XJ, and need to know. The brackets that hold the roller(cover)and mount on the panels are recessed. There is about a 1/4" ridge or stepdown around the outer part of brackets. Looks like I need to drill about5/8" holes into the panel so the bracket will fit flush. Before I do this, I want to make sure there is another panel under the outer, for the 2" long screws to hold the bracket in place.
Any ideas???? :thumbup:

Wish I could help you out on the '00 XJ ...

I have a '94 ... I pulled the carpet up last year to repair some holes in the floor in the cargo area. I do not remember mine being double layered.

Les

Thanks for the luck.
I want info on drilling bracket holes on the SIDE cargo panels.
lbexj said:
Wish I could help you out on the '00 XJ ...

I have a '94 ... I pulled the carpet up last year to repair some holes in the floor in the cargo area. I do not remember mine being double layered.

Les

:laugh: ... sorry about that ...

I've not had these panels off mine yet. I have drilled mounting holes in the recessed part of the riders side panel to mount a fire extinguisher. There was nothing behind it there. I suspect there are access holes throughout and I was in one ...

You may be able to see pics of the inside body panels here ... try checking out threads on the subject of "Roll Cages". I believe I've seen pics with the plastic panels removed before.

HTH ...

Les

if you mean the panels that the spare tire sits at... it is single layer. I had to pull both panels out on the driver's side including the panel where the seatbelts and the backseat are locked into position with a lever. I put a wiring harness for my hitch a few months ago, so the memory is still fresh. Mine is a 2000 XJ. good luck :viking:

suggestion... just unscrew the panels and take a peek yourself? It is really easy to see if there is 2 panels or not. the only tricky thing is that the panel that sits behind the spare tire... that you have to pull up and out and the same time, because the panel is kinda wedged in where the rear glass meets. good luck

Last edited:
As said above best idea is to take the plastic off and look exactly where you want to drill.

Little extra time but the safest!

mark

Thanks for the ideas.
I'm just lazy, and was hoping I wouldn't need to pull the panels.

gr8tires said:
Thanks for the ideas.
I'm just lazy, and was hoping I wouldn't need to pull the panels.

dude, it is really easy, all u have to take the bottom trim where the door latch is and unscrew all the screws and take the spare tire out and go to town for the other panels. good luck

Back