• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cure for Inchitis, but now its mod-itits

Kevin

NAXJA Forum User
Well I don't know about the rest of you but it worked for me. Its called my mortgage. Things will be tight for a while so I'm metally preparing myself to keep my XJ at 3" of lift and 31" tires. That being said, is it still recommended/necessary to replace my factory D35 with something beefier? I would like to regear and lock the rear and possibly lock/regear the HPD30 in the front. This is my DD, so what do you all recommend? I've got tow points and armor (waiting for my rock rails to arrive shortly) so I think I am ready to move on the axle mods. What are your thoughts and recommendations on the lockers and gears. Thanks

This is asked a couple times a week here and on JU. Just search.
Here's what you'll find in one short summary:
Ditch the 35, keep the 30.
Swap in either an 8.25, 44, or Ford 8.8 for the rear. The 44 & 8.8 are stronger than the 8.25.
97+ 8.25's are strong enough for at least 33's though and are cheap and easy to find.
8.25 & 44 are completely bolt-in.
You can get the 8.25 with either 3.07, 3.55, or 4.10 ratios.
You can get the 44 with 3.55.

My personal recommendation, get the 8.25 with the gear ratio you want and then spend the money to re-gear the 30 with the locker of your choice.

Get a 29 spline 8.25, they should be cheap. I know when I bolt up my new axles I'll be looking for $150 at most.

ZachMan said:
Get a 29 spline 8.25, they should be cheap. I know when I bolt up my new axles I'll be looking for $150 at most.

And it'll let you gear up to 4.56 max; plenty for 33's! I picked up one for $50 from a guy that wanted to get it out of his way, so they can be had cheap if you're patient. Definitely go for the 97 & later with 29 splines if you go this route; much beefier than the 27 spline ones (1.277" vs 1.190" across the splines).

Since you're trying to save money and only running 31, I'ld keep the d35, put a cheap locker in it, and wait to do the rest. I wouldn't spend any more money on it than that.

basalt51 said:
Since you're trying to save money and only running 31, I'ld keep the d35, put a cheap locker in it, and wait to do the rest. I wouldn't spend any more money on it than that.

agreed, no need to get a new axle if youre going to be at 33's or less for any amount of time; just get a lockright. you will be amazed at the added traction, and its super easy to install yourself. even if you do go to 33's, as long as you arent running it too hard on the trail, the d35 will be fine. my first cherokee was an 86 with the 2.8v6 (oh lord was that an awful engine) and 33" xterrains on stock geared, and open d30 and d35. i took it through most everything around here, and was called on to pull out plenty of people in geared yj's and fj's

Back