• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 4.5 Superflex

jlaw3000

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible for me to run this lift on an 89' without having to get a longer driveshaft or SYE. Also, ive heard that these ruby kits give youa couple more inches than they say.. is that true? Also, any suggestion on shoks

Hey.

The first jeep I owned was a 89' Jeep cherokee pioneer. I put a 6" Tomken Machine Lift on it. The older jeeps (89') ran a different output shaft on the t-cases than they use now. I never had problems with driveline vibrations or anything else related to the severe angle of the driveline and that was on a 6" lift! I have read you can get away with the older jeeps not having as many problems so you may get lucky. About the RE kits being a couple inches higher than they say......I have read the same thing, especially about Rusty's kits. So maybe a 4.5" kit is more like a 5.5 or 6" Then again, every jeep is so unique and how it "adapts" to a kit. I have seen two different jeeps (same year even) use the EXACT same lift kit and the net gain in inches was way different. One jeep looked higher than the other....it was really noticeable.

later

I'm at 4" right now with the stock driveshaft set-up and no driveline vibrations in my 94. I've had it about as twisted as it'll go and the driveshaft hasn't fallen out yet.

You should be fine with a transfer case drop kit, and correctly angle your pinion. Like everyone has said, older jeeps can get away with it allot easier. My buddy has a 92' with 6" and stock driveshaft.

Back