• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing shock bushings

SLJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Don't know why it took me so long to find out what the slop in the front end was all about. I have a 3" BDS lift on my '96 and the lower bushings on the front shocks are wasted. I guess I am a cheap a$$, but I don't have the money to lift it higher and do it correctly right now (specially since it is the wife's DD)...so instead of more lift/new shocks (which have been on since 9/11/01) I am putting in new shock bushings. I have been spraying PB Blaster to loosen up the bolts. Is this going to be a simple half hour install or potential PITA (I sometimes get frustrated easily)? Will these just press right in or any techniques I will want to try? Thanks.

P.S. Not much wheelin to speak of here in MI, but look forward to runnin' with some of you guys when I move to CO this summer.

SLJeeper said:
Don't know why it took me so long to find out what the slop in the front end was all about. I have a 3" BDS lift on my '96 and the lower bushings on the front shocks are wasted. I guess I am a cheap a$$, but I don't have the money to lift it higher and do it correctly right now (specially since it is the wife's DD)...so instead of more lift/new shocks (which have been on since 9/11/01) I am putting in new shock bushings. I have been spraying PB Blaster to loosen up the bolts. Is this going to be a simple half hour install or potential PITA (I sometimes get frustrated easily)? Will these just press right in or any techniques I will want to try? Thanks.

P.S. Not much wheelin to speak of here in MI, but look forward to runnin' with some of you guys when I move to CO this summer.

The lower front bolts shouldn't be too hard to get out and the only fun you will have is with the bushings. For installation, use a vise, big socket (or pipe) as a spacer and grease/lube the bushings. It is not that hard.... but it's not that easy either.

Back