• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Wiring Harness Conduit

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to replace the flexible conduit used to cover the wiring harnesses in my 88 XJ's engine bay. Current ones are brittle to the touch. Is this material available at a home building center, hardware, or electrical store? Or, do I need to go to a dealer for these?

Most auto supply stores carry a cheap prepackaged roll of the stuff. Next step up is a GOOD electronics supply store, they carry it in bulk and you can buy it by the foot including T fittings and end fittings in different sizes, need shrink tubing, man they have 20 different sizes in colors and as long as you want. This is a store I use in NJ on a regular basis for my network infrastructure hardware, breadboards for building ckts, custom home infrastructure hardware like oak sliding racks for hidden home theaters, etc and just about any other electronics components or tools you can name.

http://www.lashen.com
You can mention my name but they may charge you more LOL :D
They have been there for over 40 years...
If they don't have it you don't need it...

Tell them the stuff you are looking for is on the end of the third isle above the shrink tubing stapled on the plywood [yea, I can find my way around there blindfolded :D ]

You can get the stuff at any electronics type store but it won't be cheap if you get it at radio shack. I know it comes in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch diameters.

I have a Harbor Freight store near me and they sell in prepackaged bags. It like $1.99 per bag. You get 14 ft of 1/4, 10 ft of 3/8 and 7 ft of 1/2 inch in a bag. The stuff at Harbor freight is from PICO. The package says Pacific Industrial components, Inc, Eugene, OR 97402. I see you are in Oregon maybe you can call and ask who sells it near you.

You may find it at one of those electronics stores which sells lots of components. I do not recall seeing it at home depot or Lowe's but then it may be there and I overlooked it.

I actually just redid the conduit on my '87. Had the same problem. Was a 2 beer job, i guess thats about an hour of actual work. Used 3' of 3/4" and about 2' of 1/4" or 3/8" I got mine from northern tool, was like 2$ for a bag with more than enough. Also got some premium electrical tape. Looks awesome. I would probably heat shrink the wires that go to the injectors instead of using the 3/8" if i had to do it again. Would make the take only half as long. Good luck with it!

Hodge

Back