• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wishy washy stearing (feels like hydoplaning)

00xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi

2000 Stock, adj track bar, aligned o.k. tracks straight, formerly lifted +3, wheeled lightly, worse w/31's not as bad w/ stock tires,

My stearing feels kinda funny around the wheel centered position. It feels kinda like its not catching right, loose, sloppy, spongy. The worst feeling comes when going through a "S" curve. When making the transition from right to left, when you are making that transition I get a "hydroplane" feeling as the wheels move back to straight. It feels like I do not have stearing control, it's scary. On my way to work I stop and make a right, as I am pulling on to the road to compleat my turn and am going straight again my stearing wheel is still pointed as if to go right slightly, so I have to over correct and turn it left past center then the stearing wheel straightens out.

There is no fighting w/the stearing wheel, it move smooth. No clunks, noises, vibes, tires are new balanced.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Worn out track bar.

If it's one that uses a tie rod end at the upper (frame) bracket, check that first.

double check it by having someone turn the wheel back and forth while you watch(the forces exerted on these components are far greater that you can shke or push by hand)

if all still seems right check the alignment...
the toe-in could be off
also the caster could be off causing the steering to react too quickly to input... but since this is in the oem tech i would assume its not ...as this is most commonly occers with lifted xj's

tire pressure, hubs check everything

Hey 00xj

I had to replace my steering stabilizer. I was all over the road and after a quick trip to AZ it's fine now. The old one wouldn't move smoothly at all. You don't have 200k miles but after all it 's been through you may want to disconnect it and check to see if it's working properly. Not much $$ to fix it that's the prob. If I were you I'd find a cheap fix. Mrs. 00xj must be about ready to put you in the shed!!! So when are you going to get a Wrangler Unlimited??? Better wait until they do a Rubicon version, save a lot of work. :clap:

You may want to check that "intermediate shaft" on the steering column between the firewall and steering box ... it's visible under the hood and has two u-joint like connections at both ends.

This "intermediate shaft" will cause the very symptoms you're describing ... someone on this site said there's a rubber like component in the shaft that can fail and cause the problems you're experiencing ... mine did the same thing.

In fact, it started this behavior right after I installed a 3" lift and 31's years ago ... I could sit at idle and turn the wheel both directions... something would slip... and upon centering the front end, the steering wheel location would change approximtely 45°.

After adjusting the steering linkage to recenter the wheel ... the damn thing would slip back the other direction and cause the wheel to be off center the other direction .... after changing out the "intermediate shaft" the problem went away.

It's my understanding the shaft is designed to fail this way to prevent a catastrophic failure----maybe someone here more knowledgeable can elaborate.

Good luck.

Hey all thanks for the addition tips, I'll crawl under there this weekend and take a closer look. It's going to be 45 degrees on Saturday, wow.

Thanks

"It's going to be 45 degrees on Saturday, wow."

LOL ... I don't know if reaching 45 degrees on Saturday will help you fix the steering problem ... it might help if it snows a little.

I meant 45 degree angle.

Back