• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 300 T/C on an AW4

BLKXJ33

NAXJA Forum User
Will a Dana 300 directly bolt up to an AW4 or does it require a conversion kit, I was wondering b/c I was going to upgrade to waggy 44 axles with a passenger drop. Anything else I need to know about this conversion??? Thx

I have done this conversion on my 84 cj8 using a Novak adapter. The adapter clocks the dana 300 up from the stock position to give good ground clearance. Depending on how much lift you have the front driveline can have clearance issues with the tranny bellhousing and the tranny cooler lines. The aw4 would hook up without an adapter if it weren't for the front bearing and seal retainer that hit the output seal of the aw4. The adapter is about .8 inches thick.
Dave
86/92 mixed up XJ
84 really mixed up CJ8 4.0l/aw4/d300/d44s

You also need an aw4 w/ 23 spline. 91 and later I believe for that. I've got one I'm selling if you're interested.

Back