• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibes

Joe R.

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 cherokee with driveline vibes at or around 30 mph. It is at stock height. I wiggled the u-joints and there is no slop. Any ideas? I know it is coming from the rear axle. Thanks for the help!
~Joe~

Rotate your tires front-rear and see if the wobble moves. Does it get worse as vehicle speed increases?

Yucca-Man said:
Rotate your tires front-rear and see if the wobble moves. Does it get worse as vehicle speed increases?

I already did that, and I balanced them too. It is time for new tires too though... The vibrations do not get worse with speed, they go away. The vibes are of a fast type, like the speed of u-joints, it isnt a tire thumping. It also goes away when i let off the gas. Thanks for the reply.
~Joe~

When checking the rear driveshaft it's best to jack up the rear end and put it in neutral. This will take any tension off the shaft allowing you to turn it freely. I've had bad u-joints that felt fine until I jacked up the rear end to check. Also check to make sure the balancing weight hasn't gotten knocked off the shaft. Make sure your tire lugs are secure. I once thought I had a bad u-joint but ended up being loose lugs on my alloy rims and the tire was wobbling. Felt stupid on that one. Oh, chock your wheels when jacking. The only other thing I can think of is a lost wheel balancing weight, mud stuck to your rim or a bad wheel bearing.

90NHXJ said:
When checking the rear driveshaft it's best to jack up the rear end and put it in neutral. This will take any tension off the shaft allowing you to turn it freely. I've had bad u-joints that felt fine until I jacked up the rear end to check. Also check to make sure the balancing weight hasn't gotten knocked off the shaft. Make sure your tire lugs are secure. I once thought I had a bad u-joint but ended up being loose lugs on my alloy rims and the tire was wobbling. Felt stupid on that one. Oh, chock your wheels when jacking. The only other thing I can think of is a lost wheel balancing weight, mud stuck to your rim or a bad wheel bearing.

Good point on the weight on the driveshaft, i will definately check that. I had that problem with my front... I always check my u-joints with the pressure taken off them, kinda defeats the purpose if you dont. Will also check my lug torque since i just had the wheels off when i balanced them. Thanks

Try pulling the driveshaft out and check the pinion bearing for slop.

Back