• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust smell

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
My 88 Laredo sat in storage for over a year. I did a complete tune-up, including a new EGR valve when I just aquired it. The exhaust odor is very bad, and I know it will not pass state emissions. To stand behind it when its running the smell is very rich almost acidic, no visible smoke though and it runs fine. I am planning on replacing the O2 sensor this week and the CAT when I do the exhaust on the 15th. I am hoping this will clear it up, anything else I should look for???

Think maybe the gas in the tank went bad? If it sat for over a year then that is long enough. That is the only thing I can think of. Try adding a few fresh gallons of gas and running the bad stuff out. I'm not sure if there are any fuel addatives to help this, but it may be worth the trip to the local parts store and checking.

Bryan

Well, I have already run about 2 tanks of gas through it and done a full tune-up including all fluids. Last week I took it for a long run on the highway before changing out the tranny fluid. I climbed under it while it was still hot and noticed that the CAT was not nearly as hot as I expected. This leads me to believe its dead, the 02 sensor too possibly.

SPSERG said:
"almost acidic"

Acid smoking squirrels that took up residence in your air box?

I've got the same problem that I've never bothered to deal with... My exhaust stinks of gas. It' already got a new 02 sensor and a pretty new cat. Lot's of nice black carbon coated tail pipe too. Mileage is still around 20 hwy so I don't really care to mess with it. I think the ecu is running the engine rich but I've got no codes (supposedly, according to my moron dealership) to start from. Be interested to see if you come up with anything...

I will let you know when I have my exhaust done on Monday. I am doing my 02 sensor on Sunday, and hopefully that will take care of it. With state emissions testing, there is no way it will pass in current form. Plus the gas mileage is horrible too!

Back