• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

J-20 steering box installed...WOW!

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I finished the swap tonight, thanks to some helpful tips and info. (Warthog, you da man!) :cheers:
The steering is almost effortless! I can turn my 32s lock-lock w/one finger EASILY!
It's a genuine J-20 box, so I needed a washer on each bolt to get the C-ROK inner plate cinched up tight. It's a nice swap and works great! :yelclap:

A lot of the auto parts stores sell a J20 box but all it is is a regular XJ style(lower pressure) box with four mounting holes.

Jes

Jes said:
A lot of the auto parts stores sell a J20 box but all it is is a regular XJ style(lower pressure) box with four mounting holes.

Jes

So you are saying this J-20 box is bolt in except for the extra mounting boss?

r@m

Jes said:
Where did you find a genuine J20 box? Is it new or a rebuild?

Jes
It's a used one from a 1980 J-20. I put new seals in the pitman shaft area.
I also have a Grand Waggy, so I got it from a guy that deals in FSJs.

Root Moose said:
So you are saying this J-20 box is bolt in except for the extra mounting boss?

r@m
That's almost correct. I needed a washer on each mounting bolt due to the body of the box being a little wider and having some interference with the CROK inner plate. Other than that, it's a straight swap. Get one after 1980, and the fluid lines will match up.

BillR said:
That's almost correct. I needed a washer on each mounting bolt due to the body of the box being a little wider and having some interference with the CROK inner plate. Other than that, it's a straight swap. Get one after 1980, and the fluid lines will match up.

Cool beans!

Thanks for that.

r@m

so let me get this right if I have a 1981 J20 steering box it will drop right in and the lines will match and everything. My uncle has one wasting away :party:

jeepme said:
so let me get this right if I have a 1981 J20 steering box it will drop right in and the lines will match and everything. My uncle has one wasting away :party:
Yep, bolts right up. Add a few washers at the mounting bosses, and you're good to go.

BillR said:
Yep, bolts right up. Add a few washers at the mounting bosses, and you're good to go.

NICE !!!!! :thumbup:

jeepme said:

Check first, Some J-20 boxes have different hydraulic line fittings (old did not have an o-ring type fitting), and some have different steering shaft splines. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with an 81, I think it's late 70's J-20 where they were different. But don't be bummed if it doens't fit right up...:). You CAN change the line fittings and the splined shaft supposedly though, so it's not a complete waste even if it doesn't fit.

I just finished rebuilding an 80 "genuine" :roll: j-20 box. I measured the splined steering shaft, and had an old XJ box fitting lying around, and they all appear to be good. Shafts are the same size, and fitting goes right in. It's going in once I order the ORGS/JKS SBS, and install it. _nicko_

gearwhine said:
Check first, Some J-20 boxes have different hydraulic line fittings (old did not have an o-ring type fitting), and some have different steering shaft splines. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with an 81, I think it's late 70's J-20 where they were different. But don't be bummed if it doens't fit right up...:). You CAN change the line fittings and the splined shaft supposedly though, so it's not a complete waste even if it doesn't fit.

I just finished rebuilding an 80 "genuine" :roll: j-20 box. I measured the splined steering shaft, and had an old XJ box fitting lying around, and they all appear to be good. Shafts are the same size, and fitting goes right in. It's going in once I order the ORGS/JKS SBS, and install it. _nicko_

I nabbed one from a 76', looks like I get to be the guinea pig.......... :dunce:

After driving with mine a few days, it almost seems TOO light and has too much assist. I'm sure it will be handy in the rocks and wheeling, but there's almost no road feel on the freeway. I tightened the play up a little, and I'll be getting an alignment tomorrow. There's so much assist that it doesn't return to center as well as it used to after turning a corner.

Yeah, another thing...the 80, I'm pretty sure has the "bad" steering ratio. It's much tighter than ratio of the other j-20 box, (whenever they started?). The lock to lock on it I think is almost one full steering wheel turn difference than the other, and the XJ box. You must have the quicker one which will probably make the feel even worse. _nicko_

That make sense. Lock to lock on this one's just over 3 turns of the wheel.
I wasn't aware that this box was a "bad" ratio. Are all of the later years like this? :huh:

It's not necessarily "bad", it's just not as highway friendly. I'm sure some people like it though. I do not know what years/models go with what ratios...just know two of the are out there. I can say the "newer" j-20's will have a better chance for the "better" ratio though. _nicko_

baseballneal86 said:
Would a J-10 box work? I know where I can get a free '82 J-10 that I could take the box out of.

the point of going to a J-20 gear box is that it has a larger bore and therefore produces more power to assist with steering.
the J-10 unit is almost identical to your stock gear box and would not gain you any performace.

Back