• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New shocks or not

88woody

NAXJA Forum User
Since my rear leaves are sagging really bad, I went to the junk yard and got a leaf set out of a 97' and a set of coils out of a 96'. All for $100

Since my jeep will soon be restored to it's height, it only seems right that since I'm under it, I should replace the shocks also. However, I am looking to the future, knowing that eventually I would like to give it a lift (2"-3"). If I replace the shocks now, with a good quality set like Rancho's, do I have to replace them again when I go up 2"? BTW, my first lift will probably be a budget boost. (shackles and front spacers)

Not to write a book or anything...
What is the best way to replace the leafs and coils?

Sean

You might need to replace the shocks when you lift it but probably not, I am at 3inchs of lift right now and using stock size rancho5000s and it rides pretty smoothly(if you minus the bump steer).

If you get longer shocks installed before lifting you may have issues with the shocks becoming your bumpstops. you can always extend the bumpstops I suppose but the advice I hear over and over again on this forum is to install the lift first then flex the suspension to measure for proper shock lengths, then find the best fitting shock.

Stock shocks were ok with my 2" budget boost, extra clearance was nice but flex felt basicly stock. Now I've added an aal for my saggy springs and I'm at just over three inches in the rear and it's riding fairly tight so I feel the stock shocks aren't cutting it anymore.

Rancho's paper catalog specifically lists the stock-length shock for 0-3 inches of lift. I spoke with a Rancho product engineer who confirmed that verbally.

Side note: This is good for Rancho and Monroe Reflex (same company) shocks, but not valid for the Monroe Sensa-Tracs. The Sensa-Tracs use by-pass grooves in the shock tube at the center of the range of travel to soften the damping action. When the piston moves toward the ends of the range the grooves taper off to nothing and the damping gets significantly firmer.

The grooves are about 2" long (1" up or down from center ride height), so a 2" lift would put the piston out of the range where the grooves have any effect. Slam on the brakes, and the pistons would move down ONTO the grooves (reducing the damping action) rather than off the grooves as designed. Not a good thing.

Last edited:
Back