• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can they work?

Legacy

NAXJA Forum User
Will they work?

wiil an 87 xj fender and bumber fit a 91 xj?

Last edited:
Re: Will they work?

Should. Up to and including 96 at least.

thanks, what about the headlights,grill, headlight benzel think they would work?

Yeah, that's the part I didn't want to address. 84-86 was different, with the centered latch etc but as far as I know the 87-96 should be the same

Jim

cool thanks, for the help.

The fender and bumper will fit, the grille and headlight bezels won't. Chrysler changed the grill and headlight surrounds. From 10 feet away they look the same, but they don't interchange. '91 was the first year for the new design.

Eagle said:
The fender and bumper will fit, the grille and headlight bezels won't. Chrysler changed the grill and headlight surrounds. From 10 feet away they look the same, but they don't interchange. '91 was the first year for the new design.

I used 89 parts on my 92 with no fitment issues...(grille, bumper, header panel).... :wave:

Well, I think I can add my two Eurocents of contribution to this.

The newer bezels and grille will fit, with some minor modifications. I did this same thing on my 1984 XJ last weekend. Here is the story for those interested:

1. On my Jeep the grille and bezels were surrounded with some additional parts, like a chrome bar on the top and a chrome bar at the bottom. These need to be removed, as well as the original bezels. The tough part is the lower chrome bar, which is attached to the front of the truck with several screws. Some of them can be removed from the front, but at least two of them require that you slide your bumper out a bit, to be able to reach them with a small ratchet wrench. After you remove these, you may put the bumper back to place.

2. The newer bezels were not a perfect fit. But all you needed to do to make them go in, was to trim a little the plastic in a certain spot and drill two new holes on the fender (where the rear lip of the bezel attaches to the fender). Then the bezels will go in like a charm. You will notice where you have to trim the bezels when you try to put them in place. The part that needs to be trimmed will prevent the bezels from seating properly. Trim that and it will be fine.

3. The newer grille is taller than the older one, but since the two chrome bars on the top and the bottom are now removed, it will go in fine and fit properly. As a precaution, leave the bezels a bit loose, so that you can adjust them in their final position, when the grille goes on. In that way, you will be sure that the edges of the bezels go correctly under the grille.

E-mail me directly if I omit something that you need.

Kind regards
---------
John SV1CEC

gupandme said:
I used 89 parts on my 92 with no fitment issues...(grille, bumper, header panel).... :wave:

Yeah, if you change the header then you have the correct header for the newer grille and headlight bezels. The header itself is different between '90 and '91.

so will an 87 header panel fit a 91xj laredo?

Back