• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shift kit and Trans cooler

Farley

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 Sport with a 3" Rusty's lift and am currently running 31x10.50's. I was thinking of adding a B&M shift kit and some type of trans cooler. I am servicing the diff's, t-case, and transmission twice a year and only use synthetic oils.

Will adding these increase the life of my tranny?

Thanks!

Farley said:
I have a 99 Sport with a 3" Rusty's lift and am currently running 31x10.50's. I was thinking of adding a B&M shift kit and some type of trans cooler. I am servicing the diff's, t-case, and transmission twice a year and only use synthetic oils.

Will adding these increase the life of my tranny?

Thanks!

whats a B&M shift kit do?

Does B&M make a shift kit for the AW4/A340? It's a Toyota box.

I know there's an outfit called Level Ten that does, but it must be gold, from the pricing. Besides, what about your transmission don't you like? Repair of a problem (real or percieved) requires an effective diagnosis...

As far as a cooler - that's ALWAYS a good idea for an automatic transmission. I further suggest you spend the extra dosh for the kit with the thermostatic bypass valve (B&M, Flowkooler, and a couple others make them) that will bypass the cooler until operating temperature is reached and then open to it. While you're at it, a spin-on filter setup won't go amiss, either. The OEMR filter is a metal screen, and it doesn't catch anything fine.

When you are installing the cooler, disconnect the lines to the cooler in the radiator tank. This will help keep down the operating temperature of your engine and your transmission...

5-90

5-90, are saying to have the auxilliary trans cooler be the only thing cooling the tranny and implying that hot tranny fluid running through the internal trans cooler in the radiator might actually heat up the engine rad fluid? I've had this suspicion for a long time because I overheat while towing. Sorry to hijack the thread.

5-90 said:
When you are installing the cooler, disconnect the lines to the cooler in the radiator tank. This will help keep down the operating temperature of your engine and your transmission...

5-90

Yeah, I think your going to have to elaborate, 5-90. My lines are leaking to the radiator and I've been thinking throwing one of those tranny coolers in there as well as a filter when I replace the lines. Are they low enough pressure that I could cut off the fittings on the metal lines coming off the tranny, flare the ends a bit and put in new hoses with those worm gear clamps holding everything together?

If anyone has eliminated the lines to the ratiator or thrown in an auxilory cooler, please give us the details of such a project!

If you check around (I think Jeg's or Summit are good places to start, but I don't have my catalogues handy at the moment...) you should be able to find kits with an external cooler, a thermostatic valve, and a spin-on filter mount (or be able to assemble one farily easily.) You will want to plumb lines to the filter first, then the bypass valve, and finally the cooler - this arrangement will allow full-time filtering.

Pull out the OEM lines, and use the stubs for the rubber hose. I haven't been able to proto my fittings yet, but that should be happening soon (this quarter is almost over, but next quarter I'll be able to devote my extra shop time to other pursuits. Like this one. I've also got an idea for new manufactured NSS units floating around - should be considerably less than dealer... Or maybe parts...)

Give me a day or so, and I'll be able to get more info going. I just don't have a lot of time to-night - I'm here clearing buffers before I write a couple papers that are due to-morrow...

5-90

Planetcat said:
5-90, are saying to have the auxilliary trans cooler be the only thing cooling the tranny and implying that hot tranny fluid running through the internal trans cooler in the radiator might actually heat up the engine rad fluid? .

Yes, think about it. In stock configuration, the tranny oil has only one place to dump heat, into the radiator.

I've been wondering this too. A couple years ago I had a tranny cooler installed at a towing shop. Now I wonder if I still have any fluid running through the stock cooler at all. Not trying to hijack the thread, but this is in the same vein of the original question. Now that the crimped metal fittings on the hoses are leaking, I've been thinking of replacing it. Does anyone out there running a tranny cooler have a preference? Fin and tube or the stacked plate design. Any brands to avoid? Plus, does anyone out there mount theirs someplace other than behind the grill?

I've been told the stacked plate type dissipates the heat much much better then the tube and fin design. I run a stacked plate in my rig, it's like a 6x11x3/4 or something like that.
Mine is also plumbed still using the OEM cooler, if/when I get one of those thermostatic valves I'll ditch the in tank unit. You dont want to know the problems a leaking in tank cooler can cause with a vehicle, trans fluid and coolant do not mix well, period.

dont forget to buy the B&M trans temp gauge setup :)

"I was thinking of adding a B&M shift kit and some type of trans cooler. Will adding these increase the life of my tranny?"

I don't know where you found a shift kit for the AW4 ... B&M, TransGo and Level 10 that was mentioned doesn't list a kit for this application. Shift kits are commonly used to eliminate the overlap during shifts ... reducing friction and heat.

I don't think the AW4 needs a shift kit anyway ... just have the trans and t-convertor evacuated once every 50K miles.

But I definitely believe a cooler would be beneficial to extend life ... just plumb it like the factory towing package has it and you shouldn't have any under/over temperature problems.

Good luck.

bchulett said:
"I was thinking of adding a B&M shift kit and some type of trans cooler. Will adding these increase the life of my tranny?"

I don't know where you found a shift kit for the AW4 ... B&M, TransGo and Level 10 that was mentioned doesn't list a kit for this application. Shift kits are commonly used to eliminate the overlap during shifts ... reducing friction and heat.

Give Level Ten a better check - you should find it listed under "Toyota", model "A340." AW4/A340 goodies aren't the easiest in the world to find... Fortunately, before AMC got the thing, it was used in the Toyota pickup, the Turbo Celica Supra, and in the van - as well as being used in RWD Lexus (overpriced Toyotas anyhow.) I remember asking L10 about Jeep-specific info, but that was a few system recoveries ago and I have long since lost the message I'd gotten back...

5-90

I would not bypass the stock cooler in the radiator. A friend of mine had done this and after he fried his tranny the shop said it was because he bypassed the factory cooler. From what I have heard they are to work with the factory cooler. You plum it after the factory cooler to help reduce the fluid even more than when its in the radiator. If you are going to bypass the factory cooler you need to make sure it is rather large to handle the heat and then it still might now do any better cooling than running it after the radiator. Just some food for thought.

of course they're made to work with the factory cooler, but now that I know the trans cooler is in the radiator (shiver), I'm going to look into eliminating the factory cooler and running aftermarket. I just can't get the thought of antifreeze in my transmission out of my head. I mean, I know it works just fine as an engine oil, and water is always helpful in your diffs, but I'm just not sure about using it in my tranny.

Properly done, bypassing the internal transmission cooler is beneficial to your engine and your transmission. You will definitely want the thermal valve for better operation - especially in cold weather or at freeway speeds - and using a cooler spec'd for an XJ or larger will do nicely.

I install an external cooler on nearly everything I own with an automatic transmission, and I don't have transmission problems. Like any other mod, if you plan before execution you should come out alright - I always have.

5-90

5-90 said:
Properly done, bypassing the internal transmission cooler is beneficial to your engine and your transmission. You will definitely want the thermal valve for better operation - especially in cold weather or at freeway speeds - and using a cooler spec'd for an XJ or larger will do nicely.

I install an external cooler on nearly everything I own with an automatic transmission, and I don't have transmission problems. Like any other mod, if you plan before execution you should come out alright - I always have.

5-90

Planing is the key. You just have to make sure its large enought for the tranny. Most of the kits use one that is to small. I am not saying it wont work you just shorten the life of the tranny that is all. if you want it to bo better then you need a larget one other wise its just a wast of time and money.

xjblaine said:
of course they're made to work with the factory cooler, but now that I know the trans cooler is in the radiator (shiver), I'm going to look into eliminating the factory cooler and running aftermarket. I just can't get the thought of antifreeze in my transmission out of my head. I mean, I know it works just fine as an engine oil, and water is always helpful in your diffs, but I'm just not sure about using it in my tranny.

Blaine, the antifreeze never enters your trans. Imagine putting a hot ziploc baggie full of hot water into a sink full of cold water. The 2 liquids never mix, but the cold water still cools the hot. Your factory trans cooler works much the same way. The fluids are kept seperate but their containers are in contact with eachother, so they exchange heat.

Transmissions are intended to work best when warm. The stock trans cooler actually works as a trans heater when you first start driving. I'd leave the stock cooler and run an auxilliary cooler with a thermostatic valve as 5-90 recommends. This setup will warm it up quicker AND keep it from overheating.

As far as the overheating while towing problem - it is more likely the extra work being done by the engine that is overheating your rig. Unless you have the pedal pressed down fairly far, the torque converter remains locked on your trans when you are driving at highway speeds. While it's locked it produces very little heat because there is no internal slippage (friction). The unlocking is that small shift you feel when you press the pedal down a little while driving on the freeway.

Many XJ's have overheating problems. I believe that the main problem is the dinky radiator that they come with. Many trucks have radiators nearly twice as tall as an XJ. Get an aluminum 3 row GDI radiator at autozone for like $120. It works great and has a lifetime warranty with no questions asked.

I hope some of this info helps - good luck!

Jared:patriot:

So, I'm retarded. I just reread your quote up there and realized you were joking. Just ignore my first paragraph please.:anon:

Israel said:
Yeah, I think your going to have to elaborate, 5-90. My lines are leaking to the radiator and I've been thinking throwing one of those tranny coolers in there as well as a filter when I replace the lines. Are they low enough pressure that I could cut off the fittings on the metal lines coming off the tranny, flare the ends a bit and put in new hoses with those worm gear clamps holding everything together?

If anyone has eliminated the lines to the ratiator or thrown in an auxilory cooler, please give us the details of such a project!

I haven't looked at my Jeep in a long time (at the shop), but doesn't the tranny oil cooler lines enter the radiator thru a threaded x flared fitting? Where the fitting is male threaded into a female bore in the radiator....If so, just remove the fitting and put in a plug.
Also, remember that tranny fluid doesn't like to see temps over 175*F for long. If you send tranny fluid into a radiator that's running well over 200*F in the summer, are you really COOLING the tranny fluid? I feel that a external tranny cooler that receives good airflow, kept clean, and piped with a thermostatic bypass is the best bet for longevity in an automatic transmission. :thumbup:

BLUTO :guitar:

Just food for thought -

The trans cooler is on the exit side of the radiator. That means that the 200 degree coolant has already been cooled by the radiator before it reaches the trans cooler. It should be well below 200 degrees by then. The temp gauge measures the coolant at it's hottest point - right as it exits the head.

Jared:patriot:

Back