• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof rack mounts

Jump This

Just another minion!
Just finished building the frame of my roof rack.....looking into home built options for a gutter mount....
Have some ideas but would not want to reinvent the wheel if any of you have any good ideas..Rick

Did your rig have the OEM rack? If so use that. The later XJ's may have the rubber nutzerts, replace these with the metal ones.

If no OEM rack, like me. Pick up about 4 lenghths of 1.5 Sq tube, drill holes about every 12" in the tube and through the roof. Get some metal nuzerts and anchor the sq tubing to the roof. Then attach you basket to the tubing.

I have used the gutters, I found two problems. First, the gutter can run a bit too high. Second when you really get you XJ flexed out, the gutter mounts tend to work themselves loose. That's just my expierience.

AJ's Armor has some good pictures of gutter mounts if you do need to fab some up.

Rather than use inserts I would just remove the headliner and then bolt plates right thru. This was my first plan....But the problem of flex and metal fatigue still exists (possibly wollowing out the roofs sheet metal?)
More thaught....
I need to have this done by this weekend....I'll post pics when completed.
Rick

Back