• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What have you done to lighten your XJ...

89TrailXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering what people have done to lighten their XJ while still keeping the roof on it. Was the end result worth it, ie. would you do it again if you had to do it over? Notice any differences? And last, what was your reason for trying to make it lighter? I have been thinking back and forth about this for some time now, and weather its worth the hassle or not, so I figured time to ask for some other opinions.

The lighter it is, the less you'll break(usually). This is due to the fact that it'll take less force to get over the given obstacle (usually). Start removing interior parts, doors, replace rear/side glass with lexan. Get those heavy factory seats out and replace with a light racing seat. Slim down your toolbox. While it's nice having everything including the kitchen sink, it's also bad to take up the space and weight with all that. Go through and pick out what usually breaks and carry those spares, the same goes with tools.

Of course, you could always lighten it like this. It's got a top :wave1:
1078841861_P1010028.jpg

top Quote that Picture answers:

"I told you burritos and Grapette wasn't a good idea."

"Dang it, you enviro rock huggers are going too far!"

"I think I found the last snap ring . . . "

"I really appreciate the help, Joey, but we need to figure some other way . . . "

"No, Mick, the Blarney stone is in an Irish castle."

"and the red one is the secret hydro lift button . . ."

"Is there enough for supper? We can grille it on the manifold."

Last edited:
forget the cage...

815chopdayone-med.jpg

j/k, this rig will look alot like OneTons pic above when done, I can't believe how much weight was eliminated just removing the carpet.

Fore Wheeler said:
I can't believe how much weight was eliminated just removing the carpet.
Yeah I was thinking of the small stuff, like carpet etc. I still would like to be able to drive it on the street, and have it street legal to get to the trails, etc.

Someday I would love to do something like Beezil's, his XJ is my favorite I have ever seen. :cheers:

89TrailXJ said:
Just wondering what people have done to lighten their XJ while still keeping the roof on it. Was the end result worth it, ie. would you do it again if you had to do it over? Notice any differences? And last, what was your reason for trying to make it lighter? I have been thinking back and forth about this for some time now, and weather its worth the hassle or not, so I figured time to ask for some other opinions.

I removed the following:

Front skidplate & Engine undertray 20lb
Gas tank skidplate 32lb
Lighter exhaust 14lb
Clutch fan 5lb (electric weighs 1lb)
Roof rack bars 13lb
Spare wheel 50lb
Rear seat back 21lb
Rear seat bottom 17lb
Tools, jack, etc. 13lb
Floor mats 4lb

Running with less than a 1/4 tank of gas also saves 95lb compared to a full tank.

in addition to weight loss there's also weight transfer.
once i removed the carpet and back seat i realized just how much room there is behind the front seats on the floor. tools and spare parts fit well and low.
my other plan is to relocate the optima battery behind the passenger seat, take the spare tire and hi-lift off the back of the rig and mount them to the floor.
keep as much weight as low and centered as you can.

Warthog said:
in addition to weight loss there's also weight transfer.
once i removed the carpet and back seat i realized just how much room there is behind the front seats on the floor. tools and spare parts fit well and low.
my other plan is to relocate the optima battery behind the passenger seat, take the spare tire and hi-lift off the back of the rig and mount them to the floor.
keep as much weight as low and centered as you can.

Actually, to climb better, you want the weight as low and forward as possible, leave the battery where it is. Using the back seat area for gear storage rather than the rear area is a good thing.

What I've done to lighten mine is install a "heavy" duty bumper, heavy rock rails, beefy frame reinforcement, boxed front frame, roll cage, much larger tires, and much heavier axles. :D

I did chop the back, though, and I have gone through my spare parts and tools and eliminated what I thought I could do without. Of course, the first trip I didn't carry my spare driveline I ripped out u-joint u-bolts, reminding me that that shaft was better off in my rig. I also changed my steel tool drawer to an aluminum box.

standard.jpg

1078841861_P1010028.jpg

"We don't stack rocks where I come from, and you are my spotter...right?" :D

"I've lightened it up a bit, it won't hurt"

OneTonXJ said:

"find a penny ,pick it up"
dude, start carying spare contacts
to turn spotter into a spot
are you sure its safe to drink out of this puddle?

Back