• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hood/grill narrowing.

TPI MJ

NAXJA Forum User
How do you go about narrowing a hood? I have two to play with. I'm guessing mark out the center of the hood, mark off equal amounts on both sides and cut it. Is it going to be possibe to weld the whole thing without wrinkling it to hell and back? Tack it and bondo? Not sure about that part.

As far as the grill I'm thinking of cutting the head light portions out, narrow it the same way as the hood as much as I can. Planning on cutting out all the wheel well back to the firewall and tubing it out and hanging highly cut stock fender on it.

Tax refund is buying me a bender, so hopefully I can put this POS back together.

Here we go, shitty paint chop look at it :wierd: . Wont be any mirrors there looking like ears either. thx for the grill thread!

47858019.jpg

TPI MJ said:
How do you go about narrowing a hood?.

the hood is the only thing you left alone.

I think it will be bitchin, you should find a way to incorporate an old CJ grill for the front since they are som much narrower and you could incorporate round headlights. my 2 cents.

taco502 said:
the hood is the only thing you left alone.

I think it will be bitchin, you should find a way to incorporate an old CJ grill for the front since they are som much narrower and you could incorporate round headlights. my 2 cents.

hehe round lights on a Cherokee? :rolleyes:

When you weld the hood back together, surround the seam that you are welding with wet towells. Then start tacking it together a little at a time from opposite ends. Take your time and build as little heat as possible.

dogtired said:
hehe round lights on a Cherokee? :rolleyes:

hood narrowing, exo-caging, cab chopping, coilovering, axleswapping, hydraulic actuating antirollover mechanisms, all OK.

but round headlights on a Jeep? thats just crazy talk.

Dont forget that the inner fenders are a structural part of the unibody.

To move them any is gonna require major modifications.

why not do the simple thing.... cut the sides of the hood off
when you narrow the front save the hood till last lay it in place and mark the overhanging section then simply chop it off.

Well, here's what I got done tonight. Cut about 11" out of the upper portion and a section of the grill off either side. Need to glass in the grill supports and some mounting tabs and bondo the crack up!

47998962.jpg

47998942.jpg

47998932.jpg

Grill's done! I need a lighter color spray paint, black looks like hell. The red pieces are what I ended up cutting out. I'll start on the hood tomorrow.

48015711.jpg

48015708.jpg

Back