• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

disconnecting ABS on 2000XJ

BLUTO

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search, but couldn't quite find what I needed for disconnecting & removing the ABS system on a 2000XJ. I looked over Haynes manual and my 2000 FSM. The 2000XJ is a different layout than the earlier (late 80's - early 90's units). The FSM didn't even go into hydraulic circuitry in much detail :dunno: . I removed the ABS relay and fuse and bleed the brakes (no avail), needs a lot of foot pressure to get brakes to grab. FSM says to bleed ABS using a electronic monitor/control box, because air gets caught in the ABS pump during axle changeouts. It also said that during "normal" braking operation (non-ABS) only the MC, proport. valve, and booster are operating.
Q) Has anybody sucessfully removed their ABS on a 98' or newer XJ? Does anybody have any hydraulic flow diagrams from MC to ABS pump/HCU? (non in FSM)

Thanks,

BLUTO :)

I have succesfully removed the ABS on my '98. I installed a custom D44 front and a Grand Waggy D44 rear, so the ABS had to go. I pulled the pump assy off the fender and removed it. I purchased new hard lines for non
ABS equipped xj's since they were cheap (from the dealer!) and ran them directly to the proportioning valve just like the non ABS equipped xj's. Works like a charm. Jeff

I think the problem that I have (that differs from yours) is that I have rear discs now. The pistons on the discs are larger than the pistons on the drum's wheel cylinder (3/4" VS 1-1/2"). Volume is one concern, pressure needed to actuate the larger piston is possibly another. I'm wondering if the Ford E350 MC will fit-up to my booster?

BLUTO

I had to disable the ABS in my 1999 XJ when swapped a Ford 8.8 into it. I simply hooked up the disc brakes for the 8.8 to the existing system. I did bleed each of the brakes (front and rear) while adding new fluid until all the old fluid was cycled out. I removed some fuses for the ABS system and have not had any problems.

-Brian

BLUTO said:
Q) Has anybody sucessfully removed their ABS on a 98' or newer XJ? Does anybody have any hydraulic flow diagrams from MC to ABS pump/HCU? (non in FSM)

As for rear disks, I am using small GM calipers on custom mounts on my '89 Grand Waggy rear. They are connected to the '98 brake system with the ABS pump removed. I did remove the "o" ring from the prop. valve. Otherwise, the booster is stock, the master is stock, the prop. valve is stock other than the removed rubber piece, and the lines are non ABS lines. The front uses '89 Grand Waggy calipers and this system seems to work quite well for me. I am running skinny 33's right now and can lock them up if needed. Jeff

Back