• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's on 10" wheels...??????

MC-92

NAXJA Forum User
Every thing that I have read says to use 8" wheels with 33x12.50r15 tires..... Has anyone used 10" wheels???? If so, had any problems...

I was thinking RE 4.5", acos spacers, shackles or blocks, and 33x12.50's on 10" beadlocks with 4" backspace.... I could cut the fenders and use TJ flares if I have to.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it before....

well..... I think that your 33" tire will become significantly less then 33" as it will have to spread sideways by 2 more inches to sit in the wheel..... out of curiosity, why 10" rims??

well... 33's don't measure 33" anyway... i like the look better... the extra width helps stabilize and helps protect the side a bit.....

I've had 33's on 12" wheels before... I know about "spreading" tires..... just wondering if anybody has this combo on an XJ.... rubbing issues...

My dad runs 33x12.50s on 10" wheels on his YJ. The tires look great on those wheels and wear great too. There shouldn't be any rubbing issues as long as you get the correct back spacing, and trim the fenders enough.

I am running my 33x12.5 TSL's on AR 10" wheels. No problems.

2004397099889491848118.jpg

Hunter-Lynchburg said:
my opinion is that if you are going to be running radial tires (33x12.5x15) on a 10" wide wheel and you plan to run low air pressure offroad you will be losing beads on a somewhat regular basis. from experience an 8" wheel is optimal with a radial tire in the 12.5" wide flavor

Hunter

Please note.....
33x12.50's on 10" beadlocks with 4" backspace

89TrailXJ said:
I am running my 33x12.5 TSL's on AR 10" wheels. No problems.

2004397099889491848118.jpg

What size lift ???????

MC-92 said:
well... 33's don't measure 33" anyway... ... the extra width helps stabilize and helps protect the side a bit... I know about "spreading" tires..... just wondering if anybody has this combo on an XJ.... rubbing issues...

While its true 33s usually don't measure 33", I wouldn't want to make the problem worse. But you've clearly stated that 33s on 10" wheels is what you like, thats really all that matters. The wider tire protects the sidewall a little better, but the wheel is more exposed. Popping the tire off the bead won't matter as you pointed out since you're going with beadlocks, but you'll be more likely to grind the bolts up. The tire also won't bulge and grip as well.

As far as rubbing, it will likely be the equivalent of running more backspacing than 4", and running less, since the tire will be wider overall. That said, people run 4.5" and 3.25" BS all the time. The amount you have to trim depends on the lift of course. You'll probably have to be pretty aggressive with 4.5" of lift.

You may also get more rubbing of the lower control arm or inner fenderwell, but the shorter tire might offset that :dunno:

Sorry no real answers here.

That is a very common set-up 'round these parts. We have an sand dune ORV area near here. You will be fine, even without beadlocks. I used to run 33x12.5's on 10's with 5 PSI in the tires and spun them with 380 rear wheel HP.

I ran 10" AR rims with BF goodrich muds 33x12.50x15 with no problems....I was running then with a 6" tomken machine lift kit.

2001XJ

I'm also gonna use ACOS spacers/shackles... To Re-level when the winch comes....so 6" won't be to hard to pull off............thanks....

3" lift front, 4.5" rear, going to order some rusty's 4.5" springs for the front, and do the track bar and control arms at the same time when I get a little extra money.

I run 33's on 10" rims, 4" back space, and a 6" lift. The only trimming I have done is on the front fender flares, and some sheetmetal behind the front bumper.

Oh yeah, I run 21 road in Colorado on a weekly basis and have never lost a bead. (knock on wood)

I run 33x12.50's on 10" 767's. No problems, no rubbing. I've ran the Badlands at 8 psi & never lost a bead (although I did have to dig some tree trunk and pebbles out of the bead :doh: )

Back