• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 XJ ; What's the chance it has a Dana 44?

MoFo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I have been looking through the junk yards for an XJ with a Dana 44. So far I have struck out. From what I have read here, they only have been seen in the 1987 models, it this correct?

I saw an 87 advertised over the weekend that is about 90 miles away. It is sunk in the yard and the owner is not interested in jacking it up and looking for me. It does not have the factory towing package. What is the chance this XJ will have a Dana 44?

Is there anything special I need to look for besides the factory towing package, as a clue?

Is the D44 more likely to be with an NP231 or NP242, or does that matter?

Are there any particular models that would me more likely, such as the Chief, Pioneer, Laredo, Limited, etc.?

TIA
MoFo

The elusive Dana 44 followed no particular rhyme or reason. It appeared in some XJs that had either the light duty (Class I) hitch or no tow package at all, and other people with 87s that had the Class III hitch had Dana 35s.

You'll have to look to find out.

'87-'89 XJ - Not all so you need to look closely.

'85-'88 XJ Wagoneer (NOT the Grand Wagoneer) A bud of mine got lucky in last fall finding an '88 XJ Wagoneer with D44.

It seems that 87 through 89 are the years for 44's in XJ's. There may be a few people here or there that got them in different years on this board.

Dana expert list the 44 as an option from 87 to 87.5 model years. Easy signs it may have a 44. Factory hitch. Full upcountry package. when u see inside of XJ and realize it has dang near everyoption offereed that year, good chance it may have a 44 too.

like eagle said, no real rhyme or reason but there is somewhat a general pattern. I have yet to see one behind a 4 popper but doesn't mean they dont' exsist.

Majo said:
It seems that 87 through 89 are the years for 44's in XJ's. There may be a few people here or there that got them in different years on this board.

Dana expert list the 44 as an option from 87 to 87.5 model years. Easy signs it may have a 44. Factory hitch. Full upcountry package. when u see inside of XJ and realize it has dang near everyoption offereed that year, good chance it may have a 44 too.

like eagle said, no real rhyme or reason but there is somewhat a general pattern. I have yet to see one behind a 4 popper but doesn't mean they dont' exsist.

My $1.00 '87 Laredo has everyoption available including the D44 except the upcountry package. It was built in February 1987.

8700XJS

Back