• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Q for the tranny experts....

WI88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My '88 AW4 has the power/comfort mode switch on the dash. I've always left it in the comfort mode since that's how the original owner ran it since new (got it from an old lady 7 years ago). Now that I'm running 31" tires I'm not too terribly thrilled with the drop in power.

After reading up some on the AW4, I would like to run it on the power mode. With the change in shift points, etc I think it will help some until I do the gear change.

My question is will this be okay, after all these years/miles of running it in comfort? It's got 120k on it and I don't want to start having problems with it this late in the game.

Thanks,
Steve

YOu should be fine running it in the power mode. Mine has over 200K on it and im running 30s with the stock 3.55 gears for now and occasionally pull trailers with it. I dont have any probs out of using the power selection other than my jeep has no balls with the stock gears.

Mike

Thanks Mike for the reply. Do you notice a difference when you run it in power mode?

I agree about no ballz with the stock gearing. I can live with it around town but I don't like the way it shifts back and forth from overdrive on the highway more then it did with the 235's I had on it. I don't tow anything with it other then occasionally my small alum boat. That's what my wife's '00 Cherokee is for. I would like to get the RPM's up higher in the power band when I'm accelerating.

I was just worried that since it spent it's life in the comfort mode, running it in power mode now might cause me an early failure.

Steve

No, the tranny doesn't get accustomed to being in one mode or the other. Running it in power mode will decrease the life slightly for anybody, but no worse if it has usually been in comfort mode.

Jared:patriot:

Back