• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does running both a pusher and puller elec fan actually work?

Scriff

NAXJA Forum User
Here's my situation. I picked up two free Flex-a-lite 110s that work fine but simply need new fan blades. The blades only cost $16 to replace. I will be putting in a new radiator in the next couple months, and would like to replace the clutch fan as well with an electric. I live don't live in the south and I don't do any towing so I'm not worried about the absence of the clutch fan being a problem. I also plan on wiring a manual overide switch which is a plus in my book.

My delimma is that I don't feel confident in replacing the clutch fan with a single 110 puller, as the CFM is 1250 and the clutch fan surely exceeds this. However, I was wondering what the effect would be if I were to install one fan as a puller and the other as a pusher. Does this actually increase the flow or would they sorta cancel each other out? I've read that this fan is about 20% less efficient in pusher mode so it seems like the pusher would hinder the pulling ability of the other fan. I would plan on keeping the stock aux fan where it is.

Is anyone knowledgable on this subject, or have any first-hand experience?

Thanks.

Scriff said:
I have never seen any hard facts on improvement with any other fans other than stock, like extra electric, flex or various combinations. I have heard folks regreting messing around with the stock set-up because they could not improve upon. Your right, what ever you do, do not replace the clutch fan!!!!!!!!!! It seems like if you keep the stock pullers and added a pusher or two, that would have to help, but how much??? like I said no hard data.......

Please experment and post the results, as I believe all of us wheeling in the southern states with the air on would like a lower, more stable temperature. :cheers:

james

www.geocities.com/jammerjamesharmon

Scriff said:
Here's my situation. I picked up two free Flex-a-lite 110s that work fine but simply need new fan blades. The blades only cost $16 to replace. I will be putting in a new radiator in the next couple months, and would like to replace the clutch fan as well with an electric. I live don't live in the south and I don't do any towing so I'm not worried about the absence of the clutch fan being a problem. I also plan on wiring a manual overide switch which is a plus in my book.

My delimma is that I don't feel confident in replacing the clutch fan with a single 110 puller, as the CFM is 1250 and the clutch fan surely exceeds this. However, I was wondering what the effect would be if I were to install one fan as a puller and the other as a pusher. Does this actually increase the flow or would they sorta cancel each other out? I've read that this fan is about 20% less efficient in pusher mode so it seems like the pusher would hinder the pulling ability of the other fan. I would plan on keeping the stock aux fan where it is.

Is anyone knowledgable on this subject, or have any first-hand experience?

Thanks.
Hi Scriff,
As you can see from my thread, I am in a similar situation. Have you checked out Summit? There are two fans there made by Perma-cool. One is 14" and the other is 16". Both put out 2.950 cfm's! Both are under $90 also. I am just not sure which of the two would be best.
Todd

I picked up a dual fan setup from a Nissan minivan that is a dual speed puller. I also installed a small pusher fan in front of the rad from a little mazda car.

The Nissan fans alone on their low speed cools better than my stock clutch fan...I do have the dual fans nice and close to the rad to make it as efficient as possible.

The only time the high speed has been require was after plugging my rad with mud.

The pusher is more of a security item in case something goes wrong with one of the pullers.

Do a search for nissan fans and you'll pull up some info.

Oh, another thought. Wouldn't a puller be an obstruction to the natural airflow through your radiator when cruising down the road?

Bender said:
I picked up a dual fan setup from a Nissan minivan that is a dual speed puller. I also installed a small pusher fan in front of the rad from a little mazda car.

The Nissan fans alone on their low speed cools better than my stock clutch fan...I do have the dual fans nice and close to the rad to make it as efficient as possible.

The only time the high speed has been require was after plugging my rad with mud.

The pusher is more of a security item in case something goes wrong with one of the pullers.

Do a search for nissan fans and you'll pull up some info.

Yeah, I've seen your pics on that. Do you have any idea what kind of cfms the nissan unit pulls? I saw them on car-part.com for $50-75 bucks. If I was going form scratch I'd go that route, but I have these two perfectly good fans sitting in front of me that just need new blades.

Another option I think might be for me to just run the two of these as pullers. Or sell them and use the money towards a good dual unit or maybe one of those single Perma-cools. There's a dual Derale unit from summit that pulls something retarded like 4000 cfm and is the same compact size as the flexalite 210.

Anyone else with a puller?

I run an imperial 12inch from autozone as a puller. In TN it gets insanely hot with the humidity, and last summer my jeep did fine with the AC on crawling in the woods. I also run a GDI 3 core radiator though. A lot of people hate electric fans. If your COOLING SYSTEM ISN'T UP TO PAR IN THE FIRST PLACE, an electric isn't going to cure your problems.
Try one fan and see how you like it. Make sure the fan is as close to the rad as safely possible, and use some foam insulation or the like to make a shroud of some sorts. The main thing is that you use the available CFMs the pull air through the radiator, not around it.

I see what you are thinking but I dont think that fitting one each side of the radiator would be enough to overcome the low CFM you have. It should help but just how much I dont know but it would not double the output of one! Having the pusher fan in front does reduce the cooling area of the radiator directly behind the motor. You are also looking at a much bigger electrical load by running three fans in total. I would not do it. Just because you have the fans does not mean it is the best way of going about it and you are taking a bigger risk than getting a fan with the right CFM in the first place like mentioned in my write up. All the time playing trying to get this setup working is worth some money to you as well as the extra wiring and relays etc.

http://go.jeep-xj.info

jammerjamesharmon said:
I....what ever you do, do not replace the clutch fan!!!!!!!!!!

Why not? The stock clutch fan is a POS and I doubt that it could pull much more than 1000cfm even when it's spinning at its maximum (about 2000rpm). A good sized electric fan should easily exceed that.
My current fan set up is a 14" electric fan (similar to the Flexalite Trimline) in place of the clutch fan (mounted to the stock fan shroud) and a '97 and up auxiliary electric fan (11"). It's much better than the stock setup and should be able to handle the heat from a 4.6L stroker. Take a look here:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/electric.html

Here's a couple of pics:

Fan1.JPG

NewStyleFan.jpg

So it seems the general consensus here is to ditch one or both of the flex-a-lites and go for a bigger puller to replace the clutch fan. I like the 14" Perma cool, and it looks like it would fit in the stock shroud. I've also got the temp sensor and adjuster and wiring from the flex-a-lites already so I would just need the fan.

Does anyone know if one of these flex-a-lites would be an improvement over my stock aux fan? It's a '96.

Anyone interested in some flex-a-lites? :roll:

Back