• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bushing in a shackle

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I just picked up a set of MJ shackles and the bushings don't look to hot. They don't look terrible either, but htey have seen better days.... In any case, I'm wondering if maybe I should take care of the bushing before installing them, so has anyone ever replaced the bushing in their shackles? if so, what did you use and how painfull was the process??

torch. That's the only word you need to think about.....oh, and burning rubber too. I did mine on the landcruiser back in the day, and it sucked bad. Just heat em up and burn em out.

well getting them out would not be as big of a problem as getting new ones in:drill around with a big bit, and use a hacksaw on the sleeve.
But what do new bushings run? (more or less?) where do you guys get them?

new bushings aren't bad. You need to decide if you want poly or urethane rubber. (ride vs. flex) check around at local auto parts stores and off road specialty stores.

xjblaine said:
new bushings aren't bad. You need to decide if you want poly or urethane rubber. (ride vs. flex) check around at local auto parts stores and off road specialty stores.

I am having a problem finding anytihng: I looked on the net and there is nothing that says XJ or MJ: does YJ/CJ, Yota, Scout or anything else fit on the frame end?? I think that CJ will not as they got the "wider" shackles but what about others?

I had my rear leaf springs rebushed and told them to also do the shackles. It was cheaper to have the garage replace them with new dealer shackles than to pay the labor to change out my worn out bushings. Call your dealer you may be pleasantly suprised at the cost for new shackles vs the replacement bushings + your time to change them.

Also examine the bolts for the shackles and leaf springs. I had one bolt rust to the bushing sleeve and every time the spring moved the rubber had to twist instead of the bolt sliding nicely in the bushing. I picke dup new dealer bolts for the ones rusted. They were less than $5 each and gave me peace of mind the part had been renewed. Also the new bolts came with thread lock pre-applied to the threads.

xjblaine said:
You need to decide if you want poly or urethane rubber. (ride vs. flex)

I just realized that I don't think that makes a difference in the upper shackle mount as the shackle doesn't really go side to side (not enough room??)

Kejtar said:
I just realized that I don't think that makes a difference in the upper shackle mount as the shackle doesn't really go side to side (not enough room??)

Think about it for a moment; when you flex out your rig on the trail, the entire spring is trying to twist as it compresses, and again as it droops. Urethane compresses better and allows the spring to twist more than poly, which is why I run urethane bushings.

xjblaine said:
Think about it for a moment; when you flex out your rig on the trail, the entire spring is trying to twist as it compresses, and again as it droops. Urethane compresses better and allows the spring to twist more than poly, which is why I run urethane bushings.

???????

"Poly" is short for polyurethane. Polyurethane bushings are harder than OEM rubber and are NOT well-suited for any location subject to twisting.

Eagle said:
???????

"Poly" is short for polyurethane. Polyurethane bushings are harder than OEM rubber and are NOT well-suited for any location subject to twisting.

Actually he might be onto something as polyurethane and urethane are two different animals, although I don't know each one's characteristics.

In regards to teh twisting though I was looking at the mount and the shackle and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't much twist room in there in the first place, plus stock bushings are sleeved and they seem to be "twist" prohibitive?? so if all I can find is poly bushings will I loose out that much? And XJBlaine any particular ones you run?? All I could find specifically made for it is the DayStar bushings ( kj02010 about halfway down the page http://jeeperz.zoovy.com/category/500.100.springshackle)

Eagle said:
???????

I ran RE shackles(1.25" poly bushings at the frame end), and it did not seem to limit flex whatsoever. The FRONT leaf bushing is the flex limiter since it only has 1 bushing to twist...the shackle has 2. I'd think you'd be fine with 2 poly bushings at the shackle end as long as the front leaf eye had a rubber. SO burn those suckers out and spend 15 bucks or so on some poly bushings and just tap em in.

I actually had MJ shackles, and I did burn the bushings out. I replaced them with rubber bushings from a 68 camaro leaf spring...:) left over parts..... They had to be cut to fit correctly with some razor blade action, and then once pressed in, had to be drilled out so the bolt would go in. The good thing about them is they are just like poly bushings....2 pieces(press in on both sides), no outer metal sleeve, just soft as hell. A little work, but good replacements in my opinion. Maybe you can find some cheap out of a camaro restoration website. _nicko_

ahh just searched and found a link for you...look at ES9.
camaro bushings

Last edited:
I'm going to be running RE superflex rubber bushings, right now, I'm running stock. FWIW the RE bushings are also sleeved, my new/used lift has one on a control arm that is squished so that the center cylinder touches the arm.

xjblaine said:
I'm going to be running RE superflex rubber bushings, right now, I'm running stock. FWIW the RE bushings are also sleeved, my new/used lift has one on a control arm that is squished so that the center cylinder touches the arm.

You mean the "super ride assembly small" part number re 3760? Or a different one??

Back