• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle shaft upgrade

B Diddy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to change my front axle shafts to the ones with the 297 U joints (dana 30). What specific year will fit in my 88 cherokee? Does it have to be from an xj or can it come out of a yj, etc.
Thanks

B Diddy said:
I'm looking to change my front axle shafts to the ones with the 297 U joints (dana 30). What specific year will fit in my 88 cherokee? Does it have to be from an xj or can it come out of a yj, etc.
Thanks

is your axle disconnect or not? if disconnect then '95 YJ shafts will work. if not TJ shafts will work.

dennisuello said:
is your axle disconnect or not? if disconnect then '95 YJ shafts will work. if not TJ shafts will work.

I'm a real mechanical newbie...........what do you mean by disconnect. Sorry for my ignorance, still learning!

if you didnt change the factory front axle it will have a vacuum disco' motor.

you can get a kit from warn to swap to 1 peice TJ/91+XJ shafts

to definately tell if you have disco or not. on the passenger side of the axle there will be a box with a vacuum hose coming out of it between the LCA and pumpkin.

I can say for sure that SOME 88's came with non-disco axles (I have one). The TJ shafts will work, but if you're changing hubs at the same time make sure they fit your model year. The newer hub/brake rotor combo does not fit on the older XJ/YJ's, and the same goes for the older ones onto the newer XJ's and TJ's.

Hmmmm.... I have np242 1990 xj limited and have that vac box on passenger side with a vacum hose?? , I know because I had to repair the hose ? Maybe my front has been changed ??

Thanks guys for the responses. Mine is an 88 limited with the NP242. Definately doesn't have a vacuum disconnect. So from the info I've gathered from the different sites.........I can use 95 YJ shafts, 96 & later shafts as well as all TJ shafts. Damn it gets confusing :spin1:

B Diddy said:
Just when I thought I had it all figured out :dunno:
Thanks
Get the shafts from a 91 and up XJ with ABS or a TJ. The ABS XJs all have the 297 u-joints. You can also order them new from Randys Ring & Pinion i.e.

XJoachim said:
Get the shafts from a 91 and up XJ with ABS or a TJ. The ABS XJs all have the 297 u-joints. You can also order them new from Randys Ring & Pinion i.e.

I got used shafts out of a 94 with ABS. The sprocket thing on the ABS shaft doesn't seat the same as the origanal shaft without ABS. Making everything a little to long. Can they be still used somehow? I hope what I'm trying to say makes sense

B Diddy said:
I got used shafts out of a 94 with ABS. The sprocket thing on the ABS shaft doesn't seat the same as the origanal shaft without ABS. Making everything a little to long. Can they be still used somehow? I hope what I'm trying to say makes sense

Are you talking about the tone ring or the inner end of the axle shaft?

ChuckD said:
Are you talking about the tone ring or the inner end of the axle shaft?

On the outer shaft........at the u joint. Where the hub seats against. The original slipped inside the hub where as the new one butts up against. Not sure how to explain.

Back