• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headliner install

richdoo

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a new headliner in my 88 xj. I thought some of you might like to see the process. It was pretty easy. I bought some gray felt at Hobby Lobby and a can of 3M 77 spray adhesive. It took about 5 hrs total from start to finish. Just be gental with the fiberboard headliner as it is fragile.

headliner removed
headliner.gif

fiberboard headliner
headliner1.gif

new felt glued to fiberboard
headliner2.gif

headliner3.gif

completed headliner
headliner4.gif

Super Job!

I plan to do the same on my 89 when the weather warms up a bit.
Nice pics!

Good info. I bought some foam backed headliner material from a fabric store last week to do mine. It was 30.00. Should go on this weekend.

Looks terrific! How hard is it just to pull the headliner out? Mine is sagging but I didn't want to do it until I could spring for dynomat at the same time. It's bugging the hell out of me though. What's the difficulty for one guy?
Thanks,
Cherokid

If you want to insure it never falls down again use those brass buttons that have the split pointy ends on them like for holding papers together. Back them with a washer and double bend them so they don't pull thru the backing material, you can even paint them to match or contrast the color of the headliner. They are like $2 for a 100 of them at most office supply places.

HossHoffer said:
Great job. Gives me incentive to get mine done.

I'll second that, came out really good.

Since posting in this thread, I've done mine. I also used gray felt with the 3M adhesive. Like Richdoo, mine looks like it did when new.

I also coated the back of the fiberboard headliner with a brushed-on coat of latex paint. This made it more sturdy, and easier to work with. I highly recommend it, if you have an extra day to let the paint dry.

I just got my old one out this weekend by myself it wasnt hard at all just remove all the trim pieces an pull it out. I went and got some felt an 3M77 Adhesive spray too so once it warms up (wednesday) im going for it. Total cost so far $14 If anyones worried about the difficulty just go for it you'll figure it. As stated above be careful with the foam board its very delicate!

TORX

Hey it's very simple i did mine last week, but i replaced it with blue velvet...and it looks incredible. I'd have some pics up but i have yet to put it back in. I'm still changin the colors of all the other interior. As far as difficulty though...i did it by myself in less then 3 hours(including disassembly, glue and reapholstering). So i'd suggest this project to anyone with a saggin headliner.

What needs to be removed to get the headliner out? Do you have to remove the trim from around the windshield pillars, or can those be left in place and the whole headliner just be slid back?

I'm wanting to fit a central housing thingy and get my bl@@@dy interior lights working again and the sound bar fixed down, so I assume the headliner has to be taken out.

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd attach this question to a similar existing thread.

I've got a 97 SE & a 98 Sport (that I'm parting). I would like to swap the headliner's because the 98 is cleaner, and I like the domelight setups better (my 97 has the famous frozen rear dome switch).

Is there any special procedure to removing the headliner? I'm assuming that I have to pull the overhead grab handles and any other trim along the roof line. After that, what holds the headliner up? Will it just drop?

Don't forget the visor mounts. There is usually a velcro strip above the rear view mirror.

Grab handles, dome lights, visors, roof line trim. Then there's metal brackets on both sides front and rear that hold it in place just push it up and gently pull out to clear the bracket. Best done with two people to prevent the headliner from buckling and getting tore up.

did it on my 89 was pretty easy, one piece of advice though. start at the back for the trim and pull on the trim as you go and it slides apart fairly easily.

Back