• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3/4 elliptical leaf spring ???

Motornoggin

NAXJA Forum User
I have been toying with the idea of running 3/4 elliptical springs in the rear but I was thinking I wanted to be able to disable it for street use/towing so, here's what I was thinking. I could make some longer shackles that extend above the top spring eye to the old shackle mount and I could put a hitch pin in to hold it in place for street use. Any reason this wouldn't work?

The shackle would be attached solidy in two places, the 1/4 elliptic spring and the old shackle mount. As a result, it would not move at the semi elliptic end. It would act like it was mounted sloidly on both ends.

What if you mounted two tabs to the frame, just forward of the 1/4 elliptic spring's eye and extending a little below the spring, with holes located so you could put a pin through there and hold the spring in place? Does that make sense?

Does anybody have pictures of 3/4 elliptical setups on an XJ?

I have been sort of intrested in doing one but never get the energy to research it and build it the right way.

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
Does anybody have pictures of 3/4 elliptical setups on an XJ?

I have been sort of intrested in doing one but never get the energy to research it and build it the right way.

AARON

Ask Wanderingwillys.

Phil Weeks said:
The shackle would be attached solidy in two places, the 1/4 elliptic spring and the old shackle mount. As a result, it would not move at the semi elliptic end. It would act like it was mounted sloidly on both ends.

What if you mounted two tabs to the frame, just forward of the 1/4 elliptic spring's eye and extending a little below the spring, with holes located so you could put a pin through there and hold the spring in place? Does that make sense?
Dang Phil, I had to read that about 12 times before I understood what you were saying. :doh: You are right and your idea would work much better than mine.

Last edited:
Back