• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noob questions

88woody

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Just joined this group. I recently bought an 88 wagoneer (XJ). It's in fairly decent shape, but the rear springs are sagging something fierce. (I also think the shocks are gone). I would like to fix that problem so I've been thinking about a lift kit. I have read the posts and everyone (almost) seems to like RE.
Now, the problem is, I'm on a REALLY tight budget. Of course I'd like to get a RE6025, but that's already more than I can afford. Plus wouldn't it look pretty stupid with 215/75/R15's? So, what are the opinions on RE6160? It would give me 2" of lift, and 4 shocks. If I go with an add a leaf setup, will I be dealing with the same problem in 6 months?
I really don't plan on doing a lot of off-roading. and if I do, it's mostly going to be power line trails, old railroad beds and the occasional mud hole. So, I really don't need to run 31's" and stuff. Any thoughts?
Also, are there any performance mods available for an 1988 4.0? It seems that everything is available for a 90' and up.

Thanks in advance.

Sean

First off the 4.0 you got has still got some ponies in it. As far as performance goes, there isn't much after market for the Renix injection models. You can easily make your own high intake air filter. I wouldn't put money into tuning up your 4.0. Most things like high flow throttle bodies and headers and stuff really are a lot of money to get the minimal gain in horsepower and torque. If you are not worried about flex you can always go to a junkyard and get S10 leaf springs or Dakota springss and make your own hybrid leaf pack. Then you can order just front coil spacers and 4 shocks. You could build the leaf pack to suit the lift of your choice. It would also allow for some flex as these are not full size truck springs. To be honest this is the route I would take witht he information you have provided.

Just run the 4.0 until it dies. Asking for a 88 4.0 to be a "performance" engine is asking a bit of it. Mine is an 88 too and it runs no matter what the conditions are -45 air temp to 99 air temp. I am just gonna run the snot out of it until it dies. I dont' want to put money into an 88 4.0 when a couple years down the road it could need new rings or something of that such. (I'm in no way saying the 4.0 is a bad engine, I love it and mine has been bulletproof).

So to sum things up I'd run "bast*rd" leaf packs in the rear and just coil spacers up front. Take your shocks off and check for flex etc.. Factory shocks are limitnig factors in a bone stock cherokee. Then if you need new shocks procede.

If money is REALLY tight, don't look at a lift kit. Just toss in an add-a-leaf and drive it.

Rancho makes a full-length AAL that won't break the bank. Better yet would be if you can find someone near you who has a used set of XJ springs left over after a lift. Disassemble them, cut the eyes off the main leaves, and insert the donor main leaves into your springs just beneath your original main leaves. This will raise your vehicle about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inches from wherever it sits now.

For reference, many measurements taken on many Cherokees by many people have established a baseline for "stock" height. Measured from the center of the wheel hub (axle centerline) straight up to the bottom edge of the flare, the dimension should be 17.5" in the front and 17.0" in the rear. Check those measurements on yours and it'll give you an idea how far up you need to go to get back to "stock" height or a little better.

Welcome 88Woody. I also have an '88. It always starts out so innocent; a mud hole here, a back road there - then it's stream fording, boulder busting, new tires, lower gears, more lift, etc,etc. I went with Rusty's lift kit, not a bad kit for the money. My rear leafs have started to sag after two years, about 11/2" so far. I'll probably go with some greaseable shackles to make that up in the near future.

As far as performance goes there isn't many bolt on mods for the Renix motors, as you have found. Still there is a number of mods that do pay good dividends in the performance deptment. For exhaust; I went with a Borla header, Rusty's cat back exhaust (he uses a Flowmaster muffler), and a high flow cat. I installed Rusty's air tube setup with a K&N filter to help on the intake side, I also use K&N filter sock to help keep the filter clean on the trails. For ignition parts I use NAPA's high end cap and rotors, Champion plugs, and Accell 8.5mm wires. Next, I'm planning to go with the Ford 5.0 liter injectors, mine are stock and I'm sure they are due. I might also bore out my throttle body to 60mm and slap in a throttle body spacer just to see what it'll do. If a person gets really serious about performance check out the performance section here on NAXJA and the HESCO site is also fun to drool over. :laugh3: Good Luck

Woody

I have a RE6160 with the short aal (didn't know about the long option) and I'm pretty happy with it. ride is good and off road manners are quite good. I've twisted a couple times and the guy following me said "wow, that thing was really flexed" If you need shocks its a cost effective option, just pop for the xtra $20 and get the long aal. BTW go to www.dpgoffroad.com and get it from Dirk. Best price EXCELLENT service. Real quality fellow.
HTH

Can't be much help on renix stuff but I will say don't waste your$$$ on a throttle body spacer. Get an airtube/open filter its a better bang for the buck.

Well, I went out and measured the heights on the front and rear:
15-3/4" at the rear, and 17" in front.
When I say that I'm on a tight budget, I mean to say that I'm not prepared to go all out when it comes to upgrading. I want to be able to fix it, but not break the bank. (no credit cards for me, thank you)
So, if I do go with the RE 2" kit, will that bring me up 2" from where I am now?
If I go this route, should I replace some of the leafs? There is a place down the street from me that stocks hundreds of leaf blanks. I just tell them the sizes, and they'll cut them for me. They also make the u-bolts in house.

If I go with Dakota spring packs, what year do I look for? Anything else I should be aware of?
Also, I see that Rusty's sells a 3" AAL kit wiht new front coils, and shocks, all for $245+s.h. Any opinions?
BTW, a local junkyard just got in a 1999 XJ Sport that had been rolled and then caught on fire. Maybe I could take the springs (front and rear) and toss them in my rig?
As far as the "performance" goes, I am mainly looking for ways to boost my gas mileage. I did a tune up on it, but I'm still only getting like 15mpg in-town.
Since I have a night job (pizza delivery) I'm constantly doing intown driving.
Is that mileage common for an 88' XJ with 145K?
Seth

Your front is almost where it should be, it's just the rear that's badly sagged. I'm still not clear what you really want to do. If you only need to correct a 1-1/4" sag in the back, why put on a 2" lift? On the other hand, if you put on a 2" lift because you want to go up 2", you won't get it in the back without new springs because the AAL or extended shackle only add to where you are now, not to where the vehicle sat new.

The springs from the junkyard '99 will fit and would be a good option if the price is right. From what I'm hearing, though, it still seems to me that a full-length AAL (not a 3", just a basic one like the Rancho) is all you need.

Eagle,
My main objective is to restore the ride quality. Every bump that I go over, my rear axle bottoms out. Now, in restoring quality, I won't object if I get an increase in ride height. I do enjoy going off-road, I'm just not into extreme 4 wheeling. So, I guess the best way to put this is: What would be the most economical way to restore ride quality and provide additional ground clearance.

Sean

88woody said:
Eagle,
My main objective is to restore the ride quality. Every bump that I go over, my rear axle bottoms out. Now, in restoring quality, I won't object if I get an increase in ride height. I do enjoy going off-road, I'm just not into extreme 4 wheeling. So, I guess the best way to put this is: What would be the most economical way to restore ride quality and provide additional ground clearance.

Sean

Although my name is not Eagel, I would go with an OME 2.5" suspension system. That kit gives you everything you need. Although it is a little pricey, if you are looking for ride quality, OME is at the top.

15mpg in town is just dandy. I wouldn't fuss about that at all. If you live in a rust area trying to remove the rear springs may open a can o worms. Eagle's suggestion is likely your best bet to get things back to stock height for now. It will certainly be an inexpensive option.

Back