• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hmmmm... shackleshock

Codeman

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have an Idea. I dont need to do this, but it crossed my mind after reading a post on moving up your rear shock mounts so you wouldn't have to buy new shocks with your lift. Now here is my idea: why not do a shackle style mount? (not for the purpose of saving money on shocks) but for the purpose of getting more travel out of them. Any one ever heard of this? Is there a reason not to? Again, I dont plan on doing this, but it is an idea. Any thoughts?

I can't think of a direct reason for it. But, the only thing that crossed my mind with it is this... I think the unloading of the "shackle" would act first on the road rather than the shock. It could possible create a scary ride on road. Have you ever rode in a vehicle with revolvers and no shocks? I dont recomend it. It could cause a situation like that.

MATT

are you talking about mounting the shock to the shackle, or mounting one end of the leaf solid and the other end to a shock for the length change?

there was a guy who was messing around with the latter, but they never went production. they were using a HUGE shaft on the shock because of the high side-loads.

if you're just talking about mounting a shock to the shackle, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work except that you'll need very stiff valving. depending on the leafs, a shackle will sometimes only move 3 inches for 12 inches of travel at the axle, so you would need your shocks 4 times stiffer in that case.

actually I was just thinking about the mount at the axle. Has anyone ever thought of this or tried it?

l l <shock
l l
ll
ll
(0)
\ \ <shackle
\ \
(0)
\_( A ) <axle

Codeman... i have no clue what that is. But I think you should try it and tell us how it is! :spin1:

Chuck... after the fact of everything. I was younger and much more stupid! If I told myself that now, I would slap me silly. :twak:

Matt

Last edited:
Re: hmmmm... shackleshock ->

Codeman: I can't crack the code....wazzat say, anyway?
I think that's a great idea, 'cept for what Scrappy says. (How was that ride, Scrappy?) Is there any kinda spring-loaded shackle that would help with mad maXJ's comment? Or is is possible to fab up something to compensate?
Hold this thread awhile......I got someting to mail to the Patent Office. :laugh:

I am just confused I think. Or MadMaxj is. I think codeman is saying that instead of mounting the shocks solid to the axle and body, to put a small shackle on one end so that you can get an extra 3 inches of droop. But like i said. unloading could me knarly.

Matt

the travel of the shackle whoud be undamped. the result would be a really bad ride.....unless this is just disconnected for crawling...pinned rigid when driving on roads.

jjvande said:
the travel of the shackle whoud be undamped. the result would be a really bad ride.....unless this is just disconnected for crawling...pinned rigid when driving on roads.

I'm thinking the weight of the xj would keep it in the up(?) position on road. Or would cornering unload it? Pinning it would be an excellent idea tho, using proper hardware. Any cons to that? And how would the off-road ride be?

okay, i get it now, I was thinking a little TOO outside the box :looney:

anytime you have the shackle able to move it will move with no dampening = bad, bad idea on the street

now if you wanted to pin it and then unpin it for offroad, that would make a little sense, it would basically be a quick disconnect for your shock. rockcrawling doesn't neccesitate shocks as much as high-speed driving or wheelin. but you say this isn't to avoid buying new shocks, but to get more travel, are you really maxing out 14" shocks?

Interesting topic here. I would have to agree with Mad XJ. I'm running 8 inches of lift, revolvers, and 14 inch travel shocks with a shock hoop in the rear. Even with all the flex, I don't come even close to utilizing all the shock travel. But if you did do the shackle idea, I don't see any way that wouldn't work as long as you could "pin" the shackle in place for onroad driving. But then you might as well carry a wrench and take the shocks completely off for the offroad aspect. Because they won't be doing anything on the trail. The shackles would move long before the shock would travel. :spin1:

Back