• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

after lift questions

ClassicXJ

NAXJA Member #1276
Okay so last weekend I installed my new 4.5" lift which netted about 5". It has RE 4.5" spring and coils, an 3/4" spacer, RE drop brackets and braces, JKS lower CA, uppers CA and track bar. Along with OME shocks on a 98 XJ

1. For my control arm length I used that little chart and it says
5" 16 5/8" LA 15 1/4"UA
subract 4" from LA for RE DB

Okay that is all fine and dandy but my Lower control arms don't got that short and now my axle is leaning forward ie.. the pininion in tilted up a few degrees. Do i just keep adjusting my lowers longer till the axle straigthens up or what? Also because of this my front coils are bowed foward. I know people have used JKS arms with RE drop brackets before so what am I supposed to do?

2. I had a SYE on my Jeep and no vibrations and now I have what seems a small vibe at certain speeds from the rear diveshaft. I take it I need to sim my axle but how much should I be aiming for. Any clues on mesuring pinion angle?

Thanks for any help

Hey Classic,

First off, RE didn't supply you with axle shims? Thought they did. You probably will not get much response from this question, there are 1 billion post in regards to shims.

Now the reason why I responded was to your control arm issue. I have asked this question before, several times actually and people just throw up that chart that your talking about. It seems that you have to be an alignment guy to install these things if they didn't come with your lift, ie non-adjustable arms. I asked that question exactly about how do you know how far to adjust those out? And no one responded with an answer. You can search for the post I am refering to it's under: Control arm Length, and under my screen name ZombiE. Sorry I couldn't help out...

Alex

I used RE adj arms not JKS the install article I reffered to was using what looked like rusty's. I set the arms to stock length with the 5.5 RE kit and my caster and pinion were within spec. Try this site I used it to help install my drop brackets and it was the only site I found that discussed CA length and drop brackets. There is also a chart on this site.
Hope this helps.

now be forewarned, this is coming from a guy with fixed arms an no hands-on knowledge of adjustable ones other than what i have read!!!

what i understand the adjustable arms should be used to center the wheel in the wheelwell and to adjust the caster to somewhere between 6-9 degrees
one guy said to adust the top arm to center the wheel then to adjust the lower arm to get the proper caster ............measured by the angle of the upper and lower ball joints in relation to the ground.......the castor is the axis on which the hub/wheel/spindle rotates when the steering wheel is turned...
do a search to be sure of what angle to set it at...

set the pinion angle 1 degree down from being in line with the driveshaft...
but do a search to find out more info on both of these...there is alot of helpfull info on here on both subjects be patient and read alot

Back