• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear sway bar, ya or nay

ZAC

NAXJA Forum User
I am putting in my OME leaf packs soon and figure while I have everything apart I should remove the rear sway bar for added flex while out on the trail.

what do you think? Keep it or remove it. it is my daily driver but I have heard that the benifits of removing it outweigh keeping it.

thanks

Zac

ZAC said:
what do you think? Keep it or remove it. it is my daily driver but I have heard that the benifits of removing it outweigh keeping it.

Remove it. I never missed it in my dd, now at 6".

toss it

Ditto whats been said, it's not needed. Now that I think about it, taking my rear sway bar out was the very first mod I ever did to me Jeep! Wow, that seems like so long ago.

Chris

cherokeepimpin said:
with 8" of lift and jks disconnects up front and no rear sway bar on my jeep i think there is less body roll then when it was all stock

I don't think so. Do you expect us to believe that your Jeep has less body roll now that it has a higher center of gravity and no rear sway bar? If so, your Jeep defies the laws of physics. :laugh:
The decision to keep the rear sway bar depends on the type of driving you do. If you do a lot of offroading, removing it will give the rear suspension a lot more articulation so there's a definite adavntage there.
If you drive mostly on the street, removing it will improve the ride at the expense of slightly more body roll. Most people probably won't miss it but those who want their Jeep to handle better and be more stable on the highway will keep it. I'm in that category so not only did I keep it, I replaced the stock rubber bushings with some Daystar poly rear sway bar bushings. They tightened up the handling and reduced body roll so I can take the corners at higher speed.

get rid of it no matter what you do :shhh: xj's arnt sports cars and shouldnt be driven as such

chattanooga...badass

Actually, I'd say it made a big difference on my Jeep. The rear raised up almost an inch after removing it, which leveled out my little lift. Ditch it fast.

done deal, I was rolling around under there today installing a t-case skid and was looking at how to remove it. it will definatly be coming out, thanks.

small pederson said:
get rid of it no matter what you do :shhh: xj's arnt sports cars and shouldnt be driven as such

I prefer to use my XJ as most of us here do; but you should check out the performance threads and other sites for an education.....I was impressed; they get dialed in. :shocked:

Zac, two words; sawz-all... :laugh:

Biovore said:
Actually, I'd say it made a big difference on my Jeep. The rear raised up almost an inch after removing it, which leveled out my little lift. Ditch it fast.

This is an interesting phenomenon, how exactly did the rear "lift up an inch" by removing your sway bar?

CRASH

Back