• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best 1.75"-2" suspenion lift for hunting trails

offroaddestruction

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering what the best 1.3/4-2 inch suspenion lift would be for a 88' limited. its not going to do heavy off-roading, but plowed feilds and trials for hunting are going to be traveld

offroaddestruction said:
I was wondering what the best 1.3/4-2 inch suspenion lift would be for a 88' limited. its not going to do heavy off-roading, but plowed feilds and trials for hunting are going to be traveld
Full length AAL and a front spacer

Old Man Emu with replacement rear springs. I've got an '89 and I'd never go with the AAL's- may be cheaper, but you're basically just trying to fix "crap" rather than replacing it with quality stuff. If you don't want the cost of the OME springs, i'd definitely recommend the RE kit with OME shocks. I'm a big fan of the ride on the OME shocks and the RE springs are solid. :thumbup:

offroaddestruction said:

why bother you can do 3" just as cheap and good IMO

dakota packs
used 3" springs (someone somewhere is going bigger)
shocks
redrill track bar mount (axle side)
under $200

just my cheap ass opinion

keep your rear springs and get 1.75" shackles. more up and down travel if you take off the rear swaybar

small pederson said:
keep your rear springs and get 1.75" shackles. more up and down travel if you take off the rear swaybar

Doing so will kill stock springs (especially ones that old)... while going with an AAL will make the pack last longer. Based on his described usage it doesnt sound like he's going to need any extented travel over what the stock pack provides him with...

For the rear full length AAL you can use a main for another XJ pack, just cut off the eyes and stick it as first leaf after the main..

small pederson said:

VERY bad idea.

The added spring travel w/o any reinforcement will kill the springs in no time at all. (But it'll ride great for those 3 months :) )

Kejtar said:
For the rear full length AAL you can use a main for another XJ pack, just cut off the eyes and stick it as first leaf after the main..

This is easy and cheap. I did this on the '88 I refurbished for an ex-GF in Montana. I don't recall if the springs were sagged before I started -- if so, it wasn't by very much. I ended up between 1" and 1.25" higher than "stock" and it rode very nicely with stock shocks.

Use the full length add a leaf. This is what an extended shackle does to stock springs. Only been on for about 4 months in this pic, and only giving about 3/4" of lift. Started at 1 3/4".

67232618-disney102.jpg

i would like to replace the springs all around, the leafs are stating to sag and i dont like the idea of spaacers in the front. what would be the best way to do this. and what shock do you like?

ORD

If you want to go with the springs w/o liftingpoo higø/look into `n O\G kit (y#got miÎo from Rocky Ro¡h Outfitters, but there are others out there). Great riding springs. Thõ)kit inrmudhng Ò`ar sprxcgs, fr.ot boilò/ u,bolä, bushings, and shocks for $700-800. I've had the kit on for a year and have b¥in very°|athsfitn.

Back