• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More advice on a 1990 XJ

xjfanatc

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at one right now but reverse is slipping badly. It is full of fluid and all other gears works as advertised. Even the power/normal works fine. I thought that the reverse and the first ran off the same band in the trans. I could be very mistaken on this one. I am no good with trans. at all. Would this be worth 200 or 250 dollars. Also it has a head gasket problem. I dont mind that, I can fix it without much trouble. Tha body is in really great condition. Everything works on/in it. It is a lorado package and the interior is clean for the most part. Any input and or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'll leave the tranny question to those with more experience. As for the bad head gasket it seems like every '90 up for sale is said to have that problem, just b/c it's overheating-- which they all do when the plastic bottle and/or cap goes straight to he!!. If the trans thing can be fixed on the cheap buy this thing... my 2 cents

I took a good look at it today and the head gasket is definately gone. I first started it and it ran perfect. Then I realized it had no water in it. Once applying water it started to miss. Bad head gasket no big deal though. The trans. is my concern.

I'd buy it for 200. The worst youll have to do for the tranny is just put one in out of a junkyard for a couple hundred. But thats only if the trannys actually bad. Its probably just bad fluid in it or something. Pop of the pan and see if there's shavings or a lot of clutch pack floating around and go from there. I love $200 project vehicles.

Back