• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parts to take from a '89 donor vehicle

k-bay xj

NAXJA Member #1356
I am getting access to a '89 XJ that I will be able to take whatever I want off of. Are there any parts besides the body parts that I need that would be worth taking. It is a 4.0, AT, 4wd, with power accessories. That is all the info I have on it right now. I think it has a sealed radiator set-up (which I don't think came stock in '89's), with the overflow/filling point mounted up on near the passenger side firewall, and since my radiator desentigrates with the slightest touch, I was thinking about grabbing that setup if it is in good shape. Is the sealed radiator a better design, or should I just look for a new one for my vehicle?
My rig is a '91 4.0, 5-spd, 4wd, base model I think (ex-govie vehicle, so...). I was thinking along the lines of axles, drivetrain, brake parts, etc.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Matt

k-bay xj said:
I think it has a sealed radiator set-up (which I don't think came stock in '89's), with the overflow/filling point mounted up on near the passenger side firewall, and since my radiator desentigrates with the slightest touch, I was thinking about grabbing that setup if it is in good shape. Is the sealed radiator a better design, or should I just look for a new one for my vehicle?
My rig is a '91 4.0, 5-spd, 4wd, base model I think (ex-govie vehicle, so...). I was thinking along the lines of axles, drivetrain, brake parts, etc.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Matt

87-early 91 was renix years- yes, the 89 did have the sealed system, post renix was the open system-usually H.O.
The sealed system has its drawbacks-mainly the inability to draw all the air out to bleed it without great effort and circus tricks, and the pressure bottle cracking over time, which leads to overheating, and buying yet another bottle. the open system is more reliable. If chrysler had stayed with the pressure bottle, i`d have bought stock in plastics. Ive never heard of anyone reverse swapping from an open system, to a closed.
IF your 91 is a renix-(the 89 will be), all the electronics i believe are swappable. If its post renix-aka:chrysler jeep, the engine computer brain is up by the front drivers fender-incompatible with renix stuff- still worthy of swapping, just takes alot more time and effort. everything else should be gravy- extra parts are good.

I am looking into buying A 1990 that reverse is slipping in badly. So if you can give me a qoute on the transmission thank would be nice. I should know mon. or tues. if I am getting the other for sure. Thanks

crack into the air ducting pass side under the dash, grab that element in there, can't remember what it is called, but eventually your blower will only work on high and then you will be glad you grabbed that part......

if the parts are free, I would say take everything you have room to store. Who knows when that little retaining clip, or the trail spare ball joint or extra pitman arm nut will come in handy or save you or somebody you know a costly trip to the parts store. I parted out an 88 with my buddy a few years ago but didn't take too much and have found myself regretting it on several different occasions while pulling a part in the JY or standing in line at autozone etc etc etc

xjfanatc said:
I am looking into buying A 1990 that reverse is slipping in badly. So if you can give me a qoute on the transmission thank would be nice. I should know mon. or tues. if I am getting the other for sure. Thanks

I am getting my AW4 rebuilt now and it's costing me :rtm: $1225.00- :shocked: :cry:
I may have gotten it done cheaper, but this shop came highly recommended by a buddy who works for Aamco (they wanted $16-1800), and after doing the tranny swap in my chevy (auto w/NP205- "OMG; that's heavy") last summer; I decided it was worth the dough to not have THAT headache again. I get a 12 month, 12k warranty with that price. Good luck with it.
RJ

And k-bay xj- I would grab everything I could unbolt or cut off if I had a doner XJ.

Last edited:
Back