• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Options for a sloppy steering column?

What Rd

NAXJA Forum User
My 93's steering column loosened up to where the wheel was flopping around pretty scarily. You guys steered :) me to a couple of web sites with instructions on tightening up the column. I did it. It sucked. After all that work (made all the worse by the need to also remove my hand controls and CB radio to get the necessary access), I was only able to get a fair grip on the two semi-accessible bolts and get them semi-tight. It's already starting to loosen up again, and it's only been two weeks.
:mad:
SO, I'm looking for other options. I don't relish the idea of taking the column completely apart to get access to all four bolts, but don't know what my other options might be. I'd be skeptical of swapping in a used column that may not be any better a few weeks afterward. I need to retain the tilt feature, as well as the bright/dim switch on the column, but apart from that I'm fairly open to suggestion. What options can you guys offer?
TIA.

LOCTITE!!!!

Did mine last year, and haven't had any trouble since. it is a ROYAL pain to get those bolts all the way out and ONLY TAKE OUT ONE AT A TIME!!!!

i had mine loosen up scarey too. i used the link that is refered to here and it worked great. but if you used a regulat socket instead of a torx head socket there is no way to get them really tight. so far they haven't losened up after 3 months and sad to say i had lent my loctite to a neighbor and never did put it on since he still had it! grrr.

cherokee dual exhaust?? thoughts?

"I noticed a BIG increase (if you can say that about my engine) when I went to my new exhaust. It was a Gibson Grand Cherokee exhaust, I had new pipe bent for it and the shop just removed my cat since it was so banged up and shot. It's 2" pipe. I would stay away from dual. It just doesn't look right on a cherokee. Kinda poserish."

i'm torn on what to do here guys, i know people that run exhaust so i can get it done semi-cheap. i can see how you could make it look really gay if you're not careful but if i did it, i'd run true dual 2" all the way back and then make it exit just like it did from the factory, only on both sides. thoughts? would it look like crap or be ok? i think that unless you knew what you are talkin about you'd never notice it but thats why i'm making this post, seeing what everyone else's opinion on the subject is. thanks again guys.

damnit, posted in the wrong spot. sorry.

I used the right socket - an E8 torx, but was still unable to get a good straight-on grip on either bolt despite all the tilting and fiddling I did. Given that I couldn't get a good grip on the bolts, I was afraid to take them out all the way to get some loctite on them.
Is redoing this job my only option? Anybody have any other suggestions?

just take them out one at a time.

use a little dab of white grease on the head to hold them in the socket while you fish them back down into the column.

I know, it's a royal PITA, but there's NO other way to tighten it up than to tear it all apart again. :(

:(
That's what I was afraid of.
Oh well, time to suck it up and do it again.

Thanx, everyone.

Back