• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring Perch Q's

Ted Z

NAXJA Forum User
I have seen these longer "Anti-wrap" perches...

I am installing my 8.8 on saturday and wondering if the short perches are fine or if i should make some longer ones.....

Oh... BTW... How will 33's with 3:55 gears be?

My gear guy forgot the damn gears tonight and i need to install on saturday....... Grrrr.....

#1 I used RE 1930 Anti Wrap Perches on my SOA 44 for my MJ which did fine for what I wanted to do with it.

That same 44 is out from under , and I am ordering new MORE perches here in just a moment. (have to get the the stock SUA and the RE SOA pads & 2x fwd shock mounts cut off the tubes and not clear how they will fair for reuse)

It looks from the picture that the MORE pads are a bit longer than the RE (for a bit more $) and have 3 holes vs one to allow wheelbase tuning. Plus they are 1/4 thick & cut for various tube dia.

If 'wrap' is a concern, attach a mount for an anti-wrap-bar...you gots the welder IIRC. a TJ/XJ front UCA mount would do, probably, tied into a shackle and an upper frame mount.

Like everything else it becomes a compromise.It will "effectively" stiffen the spring rate and limit flex some.If you can you would be better off building a "traction bar".

#2 3.55 and 33s will sawk arse. In 4 Low in the mud no big deal, but on the road. :doh:

I rode 3.07s/33" with a 5 speed for a couple months. Installing 4.56 was like Christmas in May. Been with 3.55 and 33s for almost a year in the XJ, so swapping in that 4.56 44 will be like Christmas in April. Not so much for off-road (Just Nail It) but for day to day.

..If you have access to maybe some welding equipment,like a plasma cutter and a MIG welder could'nt you fabricate some out of 3"x5"x1/4" rectanglar tube for about $14.00 dollars for the metal,as opposed to $116.00 or something at one of the off-road vendors .

I read an article here at NAXJA sometime ago,I have one of those 1997 Ford Explorer 8.8's axles also and am in the process of fabricating up some longer leaf spring perches ( 7" long). If you like I can send you the article on custom fabrication via the "back-channel"(email) if you are interested.

I am gonna use short perches and consider a traction bar of some kind to ward off wrap if i find it to be a problem

Back