• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pan gasket replacement

red91

NAXJA Forum User
experiencing leakage and have determined its time to do the gasket. What is all involved in replaceing it? Don't want to do extra work, but need it to go smoothly.

Thanks in advance guys!!

scott

1 do the rear main seal while you are there!!!!
GET THE 1 PIECE GASKET- STEALER- QUADRATEC-- OTHERS
there are many threads and sites with info on this (jeepin.com tech section)
Here's a short run down
Disconnect front sway bar (if no lift probably the steer stabilizer too)
Jack vehicle and place jackstands on unibody rail in front of the crossmember.
remove front tires and allow axle to droop as far as it can.
Drain oil and remove filter
remove pan bolts, set aside to clean later.
remove pan- may require levering off. they stick sometimes.
Clean pan thoroughly and remove all old gasket material.
Note, you are now covered with grease/oil!! :party:
If lots of miles replace oil pump? (not needed but good idea if psi is low)
replace rear main seal(Jeepin.com tech section excellent article)
use 3m77 spray adhesive and put new gasket on pan (can use rtv etc also)
Follow FSM and fill oilpump with vasalene (grease?) and reinstall
clean bottom of block carefully. (dry it also.)
Clean all bolts, remove old sealer/sludge etc.
reinstall pan, tighten to specified torque
REFILL OIL, REPLACE FILTER (don't laugh someone out there forgot)
Have clean assistant (read, didn't help just watched) fire it up while praying that there are no leaks.
Prayers answered whohoo.
Re assemble suspension, replace wheels, remove jackstands
get cleaned up, go for drive
Prayer not answered-- Leak-- :flame:
Find and fix leak
reassembe suspension, replace wheels, remove Jackstands
get cleaned up , go for drive
Get a Slurpee at 7-11 because they are the only people open by now!!
HTH
asat

It is one of the harder jobs you will do on your XJ. I used a lift autocraft shop on the local military base. You need the axle to drop to the bottom of it's travel, then remove the steering damper.

Then you will have to disconnect the starter and remove it, make sure to get the starter bolt and not the bell housing bolt. When you are there you will know what I mean. Then you remove the two big bolts and remove the flywheel cover.

Then with those off and the pain drained of oil remove all the pan bolts. Take notice to where the studs are located. Then pry off off the old pan. Mine was a real pain. I ended up bending the flange. Once the pan drops down then you will have to work it off the vehicle. I removed the 4 nuts for the transmission mount and jacked up the rear end of the transmission to get the pan out.

Once the pan is removed use a real gasket scraper and get all the old gasket off the block. I spent like 4-5 hours getting it all off, that gasket would not release with just a gasket scraper and puddy knife. Someone later said those scotchbrite pads on a drill would of cut through it.

Then go out and buy the pan gasket at the dealer. It is a one piece gasket and is very well made. My dealer mechanic gave me the tip of running a bead of rtv silicone along the block, not as a sealant but as adhesive to hold the gasket in place. Apply like a 1/8 inch bead, install the gasket to the block and use the bolts to hold it in place 2 hours to let it cure. Do NOT install the pan at this time. You will need RTV to fill in the hole in the timing cover so you will be buying RTV for this job anyway.

While you have the pan off you have to decide if you want to change the oil pump and/or rear main seal while you are there. You have done all the hard work to gain access.

With the pan flange clean and straight install the pan. Make sure you remove ALL the bolts you used to hold the gasket in place - don't ask me know I know that lesson :)

Then reinstall the pan bolts and torque per the manual. I used a torque wrench to make sure I did not mess up the new gasket. Then reassemble, you may want to pack a new oil pump with petrolium jelly to make sure you get suction when the engine starts.

I decided because the old gasket was bonded so tight to the pan lip and the lip was bent it was better to get a new pan - remember I was paying rent by the hour while I did this, time was money. I got that at the dealer, right at $100. I will say new pan weighed the same as the old pan but had some more stamped ribs in it to make it stronger. I also discovered the exhaust hanger at the bell housing was broken so I picked up a new one at the dealer also.

I am glad I did the job and will do it again but hope I never had to do it again.

I spend 4-5 hours scraping, 3 hours getting the pan off the block once I had removed the starter, etc. I spend close to 14 hours doing the job. I think the pan will come off easier the next time since I used the one piece gasket. I found the toughest part to scrape was near the exhaust pipe.

OK. I have a lift 3". Suspension gonna get in the way?
will look at doing the rear main, but i only have 90k on the rig 1991...
i gotta undo the oil pump, and grease it up? dont get it...but then this is the first time...

I did mine last week. After removing the steering stabilizer, I lowered the axle and had enough room to wiggle out the old pan. Did not have to remove the starter or anything else, it took some fiddling but got it out and back. Jeep does have 2 inch lift though. While I had the pan off, i replaced the rear main seal, oil pump, and the pan and the gasket. If I had this to do all over, nothing i would do different, just would not like to do it again! Good idea with the RTV though, in fact that is exactly what I did. Using the high-temp red RTV I preplaced the gasket, before the pan went in. The biggest pain was removing all the old gasket material. But if you want it right, its all in the prep.

martin said:
It is one of the harder jobs you will do on your XJ. I used a lift autocraft shop on the local military base. You need the axle to drop to the bottom of it's travel, then remove the steering damper.

Then you will have to disconnect the starter and remove it, make sure to get the starter bolt and not the bell housing bolt. When you are there you will know what I mean. Then you remove the two big bolts and remove the flywheel cover.

Then with those off and the pain drained of oil remove all the pan bolts. Take notice to where the studs are located. Then pry off off the old pan. Mine was a real pain. I ended up bending the flange. Once the pan drops down then you will have to work it off the vehicle. I removed the 4 nuts for the transmission mount and jacked up the rear end of the transmission to get the pan out.

Once the pan is removed use a real gasket scraper and get all the old gasket off the block. I spent like 4-5 hours getting it all off, that gasket would not release with just a gasket scraper and puddy knife. Someone later said those scotchbrite pads on a drill would of cut through it.

Then go out and buy the pan gasket at the dealer. It is a one piece gasket and is very well made. My dealer mechanic gave me the tip of running a bead of rtv silicone along the block, not as a sealant but as adhesive to hold the gasket in place. Apply like a 1/8 inch bead, install the gasket to the block and use the bolts to hold it in place 2 hours to let it cure. Do NOT install the pan at this time. You will need RTV to fill in the hole in the timing cover so you will be buying RTV for this job anyway.

While you have the pan off you have to decide if you want to change the oil pump and/or rear main seal while you are there. You have done all the hard work to gain access.

With the pan flange clean and straight install the pan. Make sure you remove ALL the bolts you used to hold the gasket in place - don't ask me know I know that lesson :)

Then reinstall the pan bolts and torque per the manual. I used a torque wrench to make sure I did not mess up the new gasket. Then reassemble, you may want to pack a new oil pump with petrolium jelly to make sure you get suction when the engine starts.

I decided because the old gasket was bonded so tight to the pan lip and the lip was bent it was better to get a new pan - remember I was paying rent by the hour while I did this, time was money. I got that at the dealer, right at $100. I will say new pan weighed the same as the old pan but had some more stamped ribs in it to make it stronger. I also discovered the exhaust hanger at the bell housing was broken so I picked up a new one at the dealer also.

I am glad I did the job and will do it again but hope I never had to do it again.

I spend 4-5 hours scraping, 3 hours getting the pan off the block once I had removed the starter, etc. I spend close to 14 hours doing the job. I think the pan will come off easier the next time since I used the one piece gasket. I found the toughest part to scrape was near the exhaust pipe.

martin,

at 90k and 55 lbs oil pressure you think i should do the oil pump? Also should i do the rear main? i can do the work, but haven't done this kinda rig before...

scott

Just got mine done before putting it up for sale.
remove swaybar
Jack up the jeep until the wheels are off the ground
remove starter
Drain oil
remove pan bolts
pry the pan loose
reach inside the pan and take off the two bolts holding the oil pump in place then pull it out
now push the pan foprward then push the front end to the left(drivers side) now cock it over torwards you and start to pull it out, not really a big deal this way. I didn't have to remove any of that other stuff.

There are four bolts near the corners if I remember correctly that are larger than the rest of them.......remember where those came from.

Scott,

If you have 55 PSI at idle when you first start then I'd say you are just fine. I was just suggesting a "while you are at it..."

If you have any dripping from the rear main then change the seal. I had my pan off and changed the pump for "insurance" but I did not have a leaking rear main so I left the sleeping dog lay.

Martin

Hey, if your pump is cranking like that don't change it. But I would do the rear main seal. it's gonna leak eventually might as well give yourself another 90k right now as opposed to waiting 6 months and doing it agian. If you have 3" you shouldn't have a hard time getting the pan out if you let the axle down all the way. The starter CAN be in the way but since it's only two bolts yank it just to be safe. Have fun and let us know how it goes!

don't forget the two torque wrenchs you will need, ft-lbs and in-lbs, needed for the job......just a heads up....

A wire wheel on a bench grinder will clean the old gasket off the oil pan in just a few minutes. Splurge for a real scraper to clean up the bottom of the block.

After scraping off as much of the gasket as possible, wetting the remaining bits and pieces with aceton (if you have some handy) or even penetrating oil, helps. I used a brass wire brush and aceton for a clean finish.

Just wanted to say thanks for this info....blew a rear main seal last night on the way home from work....that sucked.....came home and went straight here for the info, printed out the tips on this page and went to work. 6 hours later new oil pump(155,000 miles, didn't want to get in there again for a while), new rear main(two lip) seals and new oil pan gasket with no leaks. Thanks fellas for a great write up. an fyi, did not remove sway bar, starter, tranny cover. just took a few extra minutes....

david.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Way to go!! glad to be of service. I actually did mine without taking the swaybar loose. took forever to do. Naturally the engine died about 3 months later!!! Oh well new motor was easy to do on the engine stand!!!

Back