• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ring gear/carrier fit

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
i have never done any gear setup so i cant answer this myself... i just sold a D44 spool which was new and never installed.. sold it as what i bought it as. a D44 spool for 3.92 and numerically higher gears... the buyer is telling me his 4.56 ring gear wont fit... the bolt holes line up but the gear doesnt sit flush on the flange...
is this an interference fit that the ring gear bolts will pull it to seat it?? that is what i am assuming...i am unsure of the buyers actaul experience/knowledge with gears seups... the guy i bought it from asures me he sent me the right thing but i hate to think i sold something in error....

any info will help..thanks

mike

Even if it were the wrong D44 carrier, the ring gear should seat flush on the carrier. The difference is the thickness of the ring gear(s) and the location of the carrier flange to accomodate different thickness gears.

Either the carrier (or ring gear) is defective, he has crud on the mating surfaces, or he doesn't know what he's doing. Whose gears is he using? Korean crappola?

he says it is a new ring gear from Sierra Gear... my original supplier has verified with me that it is the proper part#.. anyone else have thoughts on this?
mike

ask him to send some pics. yes it is an interference fit... so the ring gear needs to go on straight.

has he done gears before?

I never heard of Sierra Gear. Are they made in the USA? If not I'd be suspicious. In fact, I'm suspicious even if they are made in the USA 'cause I've never heard of them.

In a D44 I would only use Dana-Spicer gears. But I guess it's too late to thell him that. :(

most gears are made out of the states. even some of the best like superior, those are made in Italy. Yukon is made in India for the most part. but IMHO there is no real difference when they both carry the same warranty.

I have only seen the sierra gears a few times. can't remember where though. I personally have been installing the Yukons for a while now and they setup very nicely. but honestly, I get better pricing from Randy's so thats what I sell.

Funny thing - I received a Yukon spool yesterday and when I put a 5.88 ring gear on it it didn't want to seat on the spool - new dana gear and when I questioned the seller about the 30H marking on the Youkon spool he told me that refered to the 30 splines. the diameter and bolts line up but my guess is the spool diameter inside the ring gear is a bit too large???

I don't have a stock carrier to measure its diameter but will try to get a caliper measurement of the diameter and ID to see how much difference there is. My guess is too much!!!!

e yhe any info will help..thanks

mike[/QUOTE]

i guess i didnt mention it.. this is also a Yukon spool.... and my understanding is that the 30H designates the spline count and the letter designates the actual application.. so a spool for 3.92 and numerically lower gears would have a different letter as would a D60 spool etc..... if he cant get the ring gear seated i will most likely have to refund his $$.... but i think if there is a defect the original seller will help me out on this...

RSALEMI.. let me know what you come up with for a measurment... maybe its a bad batch of spools?? the spool also has another set of #s stamped in it but i dont have it handy.. i was thinking it was a MFG DATE....

thanks again
mike

I've got Yukon 4.88s on a Yukon spool. CRASH set up my axle for me - you could PM him and see if he had any problems with mine, if he doesn't post up in this.

Tell him to freeze the spool and heat the ring gear. It'll slip together fairly easily that way. That's what I've done with 90% of the gears I put on.

Phils 4.88's went on his Yukon spool with no muss or fuss. Didn't even have to use the press for motivation. :D

A difference of a couple of thosands can make parts feel very tight. Follow OneNut's advice above and you'll be set.

CRASH

Back