• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken head bolt

Gray XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So i was replacing my cracked exhaust manifilod and in the process had to pull off the head becuase of a broken stud in the head; well now i have a broken bolt in the block as well, i drilled a hole in it and tried a screw extractor but it broke off inside the bolt,(nightmare)so does anyone have any ideas on how to get it out?

heat, plumbers candle and some good pics. heat it up red use the metal pics to fill in the open space next to the ez out and give it a twist to unseat the ez out with the easy out out melt some parafin (SP) wax on the bolt and use your new ez out to remove the bolt

Find a weld shop that can tig weld a rod to the broke bolt and turn it out. I have had this done before to a car with aluminum heads with no damage. It take a competent welder to do it. Call around to the dealerships in your area and to find out who they have do it. Im sure you can find someone. It cost me about $20.

BAN said:
Find a weld shop that can tig weld a rod to the broke bolt and turn it out. I have had this done before to a car with aluminum heads with no damage. It take a competent welder to do it. Call around to the dealerships in your area and to find out who they have do it. Im sure you can find someone. It cost me about $20.
Cool thanks i will try it myself first then try a welder

Back