• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie Question

LOOKSURF

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 98 XJ and I am getting a little wobble in the wheel when going about 45-50 mph. I am also getting a clunk sound when I hip pot hole or make a right hand turn sometimes. What do you think might be causing this? Would a new track bar correct this?

The XJ is Auto with the 4.0 and has a 3" BDS lift on it. Aslo the BDS rear leafs are the add a leaf could I change them out and put the RE full leafs in?

Wobble in which wheel? Steering wheel? Probably need an alignment. Could be many things (bent wheel, unbalanced tire, out of alignment, etc.)
If you have a trackbar that uses a TRE at the frame end, the clunk is likely the TRE going bad. These two items could be related.

Yes, you can replace your spring pack (with the AAL) with the other RE full leaf pack.

JnJ said:
Wobble in which wheel? Steering wheel? Probably need an alignment. Could be many things (bent wheel, unbalanced tire, out of alignment, etc.)
If you have a trackbar that uses a TRE at the frame end, the clunk is likely the TRE going bad. These two items could be related.

Yes, you can replace your spring pack (with the AAL) with the other RE full leaf pack.

I am getting the wobble in the steering wheel. As far as alignment the jeep is driving straight down the road. The steering wheel is not straight though. I am not sure what a TRE is but I am positive the track bar is ome not aftermarket do you think since its not aftermarket trackbar this would becausing the problem since the jeep has a lift?

LOOKSURF said:
I am getting the wobble in the steering wheel. As far as alignment the jeep is driving straight down the road. The steering wheel is not straight though. I am not sure what a TRE is but I am positive the track bar is ome not aftermarket do you think since its not aftermarket trackbar this would becausing the problem since the jeep has a lift?
The Jeep can still track straight even with a bad alignment (example, to much toe in). When the vehicle is lifted without lengthing the Trackbar, the axle is pulled further to the driver's side. Sometimes you can look from the front and see this. With only 3" you should be able to get away without an aftermarket trackbar. Installing a lift seems to reveal worn stock parts. The TRE is a tie rod end, it's the "joint" that connects the trackbar at the frame end and they have a tendancy to go bad.

You could also have a bad hub but it would have to be really bad to feel it. It is easy to check just jack up front and try to shake the tire. It is not likely this problem but it is easy to check.

If you think the trac-bar is loose get someone to rock the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the trac-bar

Make sure the adjustment sleeve on your drag link is tight. This is what centers the steering wheel. When I found mine loose. (Idiot who did the alignment didn't tighten it up right.) I had a clunk in my steering wheel. However mine did not drive straight.

Back