• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't change oil in XJ

Digger Franson

NAXJA Forum User
I went to change my oil the other day on my '94 XJ and the oil drain plug won't come off. It just turns and turns but won't come out. The threads must be stripped. Is there any way that a new hole could be drilled and set with a new plug or bolt, or should I get a new oil pan? Thanks.

If the threads are stripped, I would think that oil would be leaking out at that location... if not now then eventually. You're probably better off replacing the entire pan.

At the shop that I work at this seems to happen all the time to older vehicles. If you get pressure under the head of the bolt then you can usually turn it out. If you do get it out with out damaging the pan too badly then you can put in an over sized self threading plug and it will work fine. If it was my vehicle I would agree with the above statement that to replace the pan is the best fix.

Replacing the pan is the best fix, but also the most expensive. The new pan will run between $60 and $100, plus the one-piece pan gasket I think is close to $40. So you're looking at 100 clams or more to fix a drain plug? WOW!

Either slip a putty knife or a thin screwdriver tip under the head when tirning the drain plug, or grab it in a pair of vicegrips so you can pull out while turning. Then replace with an oversized, self-tapping drain plug.

This is another reason never to take your vehicle to those quick lube joints. They are notorious for over-tightening and stripping drain plugs.

Take a small flat bladed screw driver and wedge it under the head then start backing it out, at some point it will catch the threads. Take the old plug down to the auto parts store and get the one that is made just for that, it will cut new threads just a bit bigger. Then if you want to you can replace the oil pan at your leisure... Oh, see if they have the new oversized plug with the magnet in it, picks up all kinds of interesting things sometimes..

Back